"06 Escalade Build: Engine cover finished!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
m1949

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
Looks good. How is it attached?
The simple answer is I used the same method GM uses for their 6.2L truck manifold cover. The cover connects to the manifold with grommets which allow it to be pressed on and pop off using two studs that are screwed into the manifold. Here is what I did: The manifold has threaded opening for up to five studs (or perhaps for some other purpose). I used four studs: 2 that are side-by-side near rear of the manifold and one each on the left and right nearer the front of the manifold. I cut four 1" diameter by 1" long sections from a pvc pipe. I then screwed 4 studs into the manifold at the locations mentioned above. Next, I smashed modeling clay on to the underside of the new cover at the approximate locations where the studs would touch the cover. I aligned the cover and pressed it down on the studs. This made impressions of the exact loction of each stud. Next, I cut away the clay from each stud impression, leaving a 1" diameter section that had the stud impression in the middle of it. I then took a sharpie and traced the outline of the clay. Next, I used JB weld to attach the pieces of pvc at the locations marked on the underside of cover and to attach the four grommets to the pvc. Using four grommets instead of two like GM uses, provides more stability and makes the new cover easier to level.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The simple answer is I used the same method GM uses for their 6.2L truck manifold cover. The cover connects to the manifold with grommets which allow it to be pressed on and pop off using two studs that are screwed into the manifold. Here is what I did: The manifold has threaded opening for up to five studs (or perhaps for some other purpose). So here's what I did: 1 cut 4 1" diameter by 1" long sections from a pvc pipe. I then screwed a total of 4 studs into the manifold. Next, I smashed modeling clay on to the underside of the new cover at the approximate locations where the studs would touch the cover. I aligned the cover and pressed it down on the studs. This made an impression of the exact loction of each stud. Next, I cut away the clay from each stud impression, leaving a 1" diameter section that had the stud impression in the middle of it. I then took a sharpie and traced the outline of the clay. Next, I used JB weld to attach the pieces of pvc the locations marked on the underside of cover; and to attach the four grommets to the pvc. Using four grommets instead of just two like GM uses, provides more stability and makes the new cover easier to level.
Awesome job. Pretty ingenious. :happy107:

OP
OP
m1949

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
Looks even better with the cover installed! Really like the painted plastic grill and radiator cover piece as well!
Thank you. It's a challenge to try to cleanup and add aesthetic touches to the engine bays of these newer cars/trucks. IMO, all of the necessary wiring, sensors, etc. make for too busy and ugly engine bays. More recently some manufacturers are covering the entire engine bay with plastic to hide their ugly engineering. It helps with a cleaner look, but still doesn't do much for style. This engine cover design and painting a few things in the engine bay is the best idea I could think of to get to a cleaner look and add a bit of styling.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. It's a challenge to try to cleanup and add aesthetic touches to the engine bays of these newer cars/trucks. IMO, all of the necessary wiring, sensors, etc. make for too busy and ugly engine bays. More recently some manufacturers are covering the entire engine bay with plastic to hide their ugly engineering. It helps with a cleaner look, but still doesn't do much for style. This engine cover design and painting a few things in the engine bay is the best idea I could think of to get to a cleaner look and add a bit of styling.
Oh yeah, I understand. I have the same issue with my 08 Silverado. The factory cover is designed to look right with the OEM cold air intake in place but I have an aftermarket one which leaves an opening in the front of the cover that looks out of place. I’m thinking I might just go to an aftermarket intake manifold and clean it up that way. On my 02 Denali, I put a Whipple supercharger on it and then replaced all the hoses with braided and re-loomed the wiring. That one looks awesome but I’m not spending that much on my Silvy.

OP
OP
m1949

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I understand. I have the same issue with my 08 Silverado. The factory cover is designed to look right with the OEM cold air intake in place but I have an aftermarket one which leaves an opening in the front of the cover that looks out of place. I’m thinking I might just go to an aftermarket intake manifold and clean it up that way. On my 02 Denali, I put a Whipple supercharger on it and then replaced all the hoses with braided and re-loomed the wiring. That one looks awesome but I’m not spending that much on my Silvy.
New wiring harness for the injectors is my next project. We rewrapped the old harness, but it looks crappy. Now it's hidden, but I know .........

OP
OP
m1949

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
Added V badging and HP decals to the engine cover. To anticipate questions some may have about adding V badging: I built out the Escalade with the idea of what Cadillac could have done had they decided to make an Escalade V back in '06. In hotrodese, mine is a V Tribute Escalade. No, it's not supercharged. No, I have no plans to add a supercharger. This engine is Spec'd by GM Performance at 452hp and 441lb-ft torque; and I'm satisfied with it's performance. Since Cadillac didn't offer superchargers on the CTS-V until '09 I have no problem with adding the V badging to my non-supercharged high performance, V Tribute Escalade.
decal1.jpg
badge3.jpg

Attachments

• Badge2.jpg
    Badge2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 7
  • baged1.jpg
    baged1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads