05 Z71 totaled due to engine coolant leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. Here is a picture of where the coolant leaks out. This while pouring water in on a cold engine.View attachment 386643
That sure looks like the left side (passenger side) of where the water pump bolts up to the block. Most likely the water pump gasket on that end. Only way to really tell is to remove the water pump. There are 6 bolts that attaches the water pump to the block three on each side of the pulley.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Looks like the water pump gasket/seal puking. Also, do yourself a favor and replace the belts, the one in the pic is full of cracks. The other one I see should be done too if same age and if newer, it has coolant all over it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
many of you were right. So far it was just the water pump. Had it and some hoses replaced for $950 and it seems to be running well again. Thanks everyone for your help.
That’s awesome but a bit disconcerting that a few guys on the internet diagnosed it from looking at one picture and asking a few questions while your “ mechanic” only told you there was a coolant leak in the engine, causing you to worry about having to total your vehicle. What kind of a shop does that? That wasn’t a difficult diagnosis by any means. Any mechanic worth a fart could have seen it was the water pump.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Did "the mechanic" make you an offer on your "totalled" truck?
Good question.

That’s awesome but a bit disconcerting that a few guys on the internet diagnosed it from looking at one picture and asking a few questions while your “ mechanic” only told you there was a coolant leak in the engine, causing you to worry about having to total your vehicle. What kind of a shop does that? That wasn’t a difficult diagnosis by any means. Any mechanic worth a fart could have seen it was the water pump.

Good point.

OP
OP
M

mauger84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Haha. No offer but i was suspicious which is why i came here for some expert advice.

They originally told me it was a leak in the heater core and would be $1300 to fix. Upon further review they said that was a aymptom of a more significant leak somewhere else but didn’t pinpoint other than speculation it was in the engine. I do think the water pump leak became much more significant as i drove it further.

Anyway, not going back to that mechanic.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha. No offer but i was suspicious which is why i came here for some expert advice.

They originally told me it was a leak in the heater core and would be $1300 to fix. Upon further review they said that was a aymptom of a more significant leak somewhere else but didn’t pinpoint other than speculation it was in the engine. I do think the water pump leak became much more significant as i drove it further.

Anyway, not going back to that mechanic.
Good decision.