05 Yukon XL 4x4 Rattling in bellhousing area with AC on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Just got everything repaired. The rattling noise was the flex plate, and the starter solenoid was going out due to the flexplate being cracked. And the sluggishness when giving gas turned out to be the rear knock knock sensor being corroded with water. The knock sensor being corroded fouled out cylinder 7 spark plugs so I got new spark plugs as well. $600 in labor for a shop to replace the flexplate/flywheel and starter as I didn't have the tools necessary to drop a transmission out to change that, not including the cost for the parts for it, I bought them myself. Parts included new battery, new starter, new knock sensors and harness, new intake gasket, total for parts was around $700. So $1,300 later it seems to be running fine now. And just in time for my birthday tomorrow. Good birthday gift for myself. Thanks for the tips on the flex plate.
She was holding on by a hair! Happy early birthday!

OP
OP
HighestStorm

HighestStorm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the EXACT same symptom....noise is very random, usually only occurs when first start/drive, then goes away quickly although I sometimes immediately turn AC off... the other day it did it and then I notices AC not blowing cold, took a look no AC belt! So I just ordered and received and tensioner/belt kit for Gates.. It has a TSB sheet with it.. explains the "Slugging" issues with GM AC Compressors... hoping my tensioner/belt kit is THE problem!!
If the tensioner and new pulley doesn't fix the issue I would say take it to somebody who can drop the transmission if you can't or drop the transmission out yourself and have them check the flex plate/flywheel. If you look at the pictures I just posted you'll see what the cracked flywheel/flex plate looks like and that's what was rattling on mine.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I'm wondering, are the replacement flexplates beefed up at all, or are they the same as OE?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felixmontiel