05 Tahoe Lux Amp Swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blong

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wanting to add factory Lux nav head unit to my 05 Tahoe with non-lux Bose. I have a Denali console with the lux harness and Lux Amp...is it possible to use the Denali harness and amp and just swap in a Lux head unit and everything will work? Seems like it would work the same as repining the connector. Thanks.

OP
OP
B

Blong

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update...just got a touchscreen nav radio out of an 05 Denali with the gps chip for 20 bucks. Anyone know if what I'm doing will work?

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I am going to do something I almost never do: Suggest you search these forums. From memory, the lux system has different resistance; either it is higher or it is lower than all the factory options and the aftermarket options. But I'd have to search the forums to verify. You still might get an answer, but looking at the other posts and then maybe asking more, specific questions may move you along more quickly.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update...just got a touchscreen nav radio out of an 05 Denali with the gps chip for 20 bucks. Anyone know if what I'm doing will work?
I did the LUX Nav/amp upgrade on my '05 Tahoe that had non-LUX Bose. I did rewire the console harness on mine and added wires for the LUX amp channels for the D-pillar speakers. It works and sounds great! Although it doesn't compare to the AKG system in my Escalade.

I assume that the Denali harness that you have goes from the entertainment connector under the cup holders to the back of the console and plugs into the amp. If you plug that harness into the the non-LUX entertainment connector you will not yet have the correct wiring configuration. The LUX (Y91) entertainment connector is wired differently too, so you would still have to re-pin it. Here is the first of three pages of the connector pinout, you can see that a lot of the pins are different for w/Y91 versus w/o Y91.

CKUV 8-1334.jpg

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's entirely doable, but I think it's actually less work to reconfigure the pins at the amplifier connectors instead of trying to re-wire the entertainment connector. There is a great write up on this at https://www.dieselplace.com/threads/diy-lux-nav-install.40437/, although he doesn't add the new wiring to split the D-pillar speakers off of the rear door channels. I have the factory service manuals and so I used the wiring diagrams in them to rewire everything to LUX specs.

One more thing, the LUX amp that I purchased needed reprogrammed with a Tech2, because the D-pillar channels weren't turned on when I got it. Fortunately, I have a Tech2 and so I was able to reprogram it to turn them on. Also, the LUX amplifiers are tuned in their programming for the the cabin configuration. So without a Tech2 you can't reprogram it for crew cab vs Tahoe vs Suburban vs H2 cabins and it won't sound it's best if that is not set correctly. If your amp came from a Yukon Denali or Escalade that were short wheel base, then it should be good, but if not it will need reprogramming to sound best.

OP
OP
B

Blong

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you guys....I just repined my stock connector...everything works great! My snap on scanner even unlocked the radio!

OP
OP
B

Blong

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's entirely doable, but I think it's actually less work to reconfigure the pins at the amplifier connectors instead of trying to re-wire the entertainment connector. There is a great write up on this at https://www.dieselplace.com/threads/diy-lux-nav-install.40437/, although he doesn't add the new wiring to split the D-pillar speakers off of the rear door channels. I have the factory service manuals and so I used the wiring diagrams in them to rewire everything to LUX specs.

One more thing, the LUX amp that I purchased needed reprogrammed with a Tech2, because the D-pillar channels weren't turned on when I got it. Fortunately, I have a Tech2 and so I was able to reprogram it to turn them on. Also, the LUX amplifiers are tuned in their programming for the the cabin configuration. So without a Tech2 you can't reprogram it for crew cab vs Tahoe vs Suburban vs H2 cabins and it won't sound it's best if that is not set correctly. If your amp came from a Yukon Denali or Escalade that were short wheel base, then it should be good, but if not it will need reprogramming to sound best.
I got my amp from a Yukon Denali...should be programmed right

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score

were the rear D pillar speakers not turned on because the amp was not set up for a truck with D pillar tweeters? I still have not gotten around to rewiring mine, but my amp cam out of a 2005 Escalade platinum.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
were the rear D pillar speakers not turned on because the amp was not set up for a truck with D pillar tweeters? I still have not gotten around to rewiring mine, but my amp cam out of a 2005 Escalade platinum.
The amp that I bought was apparently from a vehicle without D-pillar speakers (crew cab Denali or Escalade EXT). But after configuring the amp for an Escalade with the Tech2 those channels turned on.

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ah okay. I know it has been said that reprogramming an amp is tricky b/c sometimes they just die after a while. The one I bought came from and Escalade Platinum long wheel base. My Yukon is the the short wheel base ( non xl) But I don't think it will make a huge difference - correct? As long as they are both SUV's with D pillar speakers. How did you finally run the wires from the driver's side kick panel to the back of the amp for the D pillar speakers? Lastly, did you ever get your Audio Pilot noise compensation mic hooked up? You can read my other post "Denali and Escalade owners." Does your mic behave the way mine does? Thanks!