05 Tahoe EBCM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I repaired my EBCM about 3 years ago. Pretty much right before the pandemic started. I took plenty pics and I was going to do a write up, but my phone crashed shortly afterwards and I lost ALL the pics. I suspect it had something to do with my wife repeatedly dousing it with Lysol. Regardless, I did remove it with a T27 I believe, T25 had a bit of wiggle and I was scared I would strip them out. Thankfully I didn't strip any screws. I did however strip one of the T5 (or was it T7) screws that you unscrew to actually open up the EBCM to repair it. After removing all the screws, you slowly cut the seam/rubber sealant all around it with a very sharp razor blade all while SLOWLY prying it open. After I got it open, I reflowed the solder on each of the relays and every solenoid. Then I sealed it back together with RTV, put the screws back in, and re-installed it in my truck. Not one single ABS light or code ever since.
I feel bad because I took a LOT of pics, from everything to removing it, to the fastener size, to cutting it open, reflowing the solder, then putting all together again. I felt it was pointless to do a write up with no pictures. Also, I do have an "L" shaped module, but which version, I'd be lying if I told you.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I repaired my EBCM about 3 years ago. Pretty much right before the pandemic started. I took plenty pics and I was going to do a write up, but my phone crashed shortly afterwards and I lost ALL the pics. I suspect it had something to do with my wife repeatedly dousing it with Lysol. Regardless, I did remove it with a T27 I believe, T25 had a bit of wiggle and I was scared I would strip them out. Thankfully I didn't strip any screws. I did however strip one of the T5 (or was it T7) screws that you unscrew to actually open up the EBCM to repair it. After removing all the screws, you slowly cut the seam/rubber sealant all around it with a very sharp razor blade all while SLOWLY prying it open. After I got it open, I reflowed the solder on each of the relays and every solenoid. Then I sealed it back together with RTV, put the screws back in, and re-installed it in my truck. Not one single ABS light or code ever since.
I feel bad because I took a LOT of pics, from everything to removing it, to the fastener size, to cutting it open, reflowing the solder, then putting all together again. I felt it was pointless to do a write up with no pictures. Also, I do have an "L" shaped module, but which version, I'd be lying if I told you.
Feeling with the T25 I tried on mine, they feel so round that they dont even feel like a torx at all anymore. Not sure which shape I have, but once it's off I plan on finding one with the exact number whether its online or at a junkyard in person.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear about how to saw it off though without damaging it lol. I'm also going to try removing the mounting bracket bolts and seeing if I can fit one of those extractor bits in there. They always seem to break on me though when trying to use them.

May also use a dremel with a small cut off wheel to try to cut slits to get a flathead in there.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear about how to saw it off though without damaging it lol. I'm also going to try removing the mounting bracket bolts and seeing if I can fit one of those extractor bits in there. They always seem to break on me though when trying to use them.

May also use a dremel with a small cut off wheel to try to cut slits to get a flathead in there.
Try a t27 like @ScottyBoy said. I have had luck with stripped torx by using a slightly bigger torx and tapping the tip in with a small hammer, then using a magnetic screwdriver or 1/4” ratchet and turning carefully. You need to have support behind whatever you’re working on so it can’t bounce while you tap the tip in.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try a t27 like @ScottyBoy said. I have had luck with stripped torx by using a slightly bigger torx and tapping the tip in with a small hammer, then using a magnetic screwdriver or 1/4” ratchet and turning carefully. You need to have support behind whatever you’re working on so it can’t bounce while you tap the tip in.
I dont think mine was even a T25 though, it may have been a T20 iirc.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

to cut the module off it's not repairable but it does save you from having to pull the pump out.
you would need to take a saw and basically cut the module in 1/2, then extract the remainder of the 4 screws
if you can get just the 4 bolts cut then you can pull it out, the rear ones are the tricky part

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to cut the module off it's not repairable but it does save you from having to pull the pump out.
you would need to take a saw and basically cut the module in 1/2, then extract the remainder of the 4 screws
if you can get just the 4 bolts cut then you can pull it out, the rear ones are the tricky part
So pretty much making room for the extractor to get the 4 torx out? did you cut it in half so 1/2 of it fell off? And its a horizontal cut across im guessing?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is no room where the module is to do much of anything other than fit your fingers in there

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is no room where the module is to do much of anything other than fit your fingers in there
I wonder if disconnecting 3 three bracket to frame bolts will allow more play to move it a bit. I'd like to be able to return this one for a core, which some private companies will take for like $10 off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14