05 g80 replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lit549

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is a good place to buy a replacement rear end?Its the g80 ,gt4.Im thinking itll be cheaper to just buy a used rear end..any specific trucks that i should seArch for that has this locker 3.73??Thanks

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is a good place to buy a replacement rear end?Its the g80 ,gt4.Im thinking itll be cheaper to just buy a used rear end..any specific trucks that i should seArch for that has this locker 3.73??Thanks

It will be easiest to stick with the GMT800 SUVs. This way it is a direct swap. Any Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, Yukon XL, Avalanche, or the Escalades.

Some of those 2WD will have 9.5" axle but as long as same axle, will drop right in and be even stronger. They are RPO AXN.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 it will be cheaper and easier to find an entire rear end from one of the same GMT800 platforms. What happened to your rear end did it grenade itself or did it stop working?

OP
OP
Lit549

Lit549

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pinion bearing has some play,then the pinion seal started to leaking.I've towed my hotrod several long trips ,and I just towed another 05 tahoe--with my tahoe,lol.Plus it's 180k and ex highway patrol truck.
So what about the "active brake management " option(jl4) I keep seeing ??Also,the posi seems to be fine but the rear end has whined since I bought the truck at 130k..

OP
OP
Lit549

Lit549

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm also thinking about just getting a one wheel wonder,I just don't ever see the need for the posi,plus I've read it's mainly for low speed stuff ,like when ya get stuck..?The regular gt4 rear end is about 200 cheaper,but the factory rear was a g80 gt4.Something tells me to go back with the g80 rear,hell idk.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pinion bearing has some play,then the pinion seal started to leaking.I've towed my hotrod several long trips ,and I just towed another 05 tahoe--with my tahoe,lol.Plus it's 180k and ex highway patrol truck.
So what about the "active brake management " option(jl4) I keep seeing ??Also,the posi seems to be fine but the rear end has whined since I bought the truck at 130k..
Did it whine during deceleration or acceleration? I ask because if it only whined during decel it was a loose pinion nut that needed to be retorqued, if it whined during both could have been that the nut was more than just loose. I can't imagine a bearing being bad and lasting over 40k being that loose to have pinion end play that bad. I'm not sure about the whole difference between JL4 and non JL4 RPO. Maybe someone can educate us about the differences, could be just different brake pads or brake pistons. As far as going with the 1 wheel wonder, I would rather have the option and not use it than not having it and having to use it. Although knowing the g80 it might put you in this very same situation again if abused, so its really something to think about. Salvage yards are a good place to get them for cheap.