'04 Tahoe Z71 shocks, front upper arms, lower ball joints, inner tie rods -new, take off,low mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for a bunch of parts to freshen up my high mileage 2004 Tahoe Z71.

-Stock or other shocks, the red Tenneco factory shocks are fine or others considered.
-Good upper control arms that are fresh or low mileage
-new lower ball joints
-Pitman arm
-new or very low mileage inner tie rods

Please let me know what you have, where you are located, and how much you are asking.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. How long have you had the parts in and how are the Mevotech parts holding up? I have always heard go Moog or nothing at all since all others supposedly wear out too fast. Also noticed you ordered upper ball joints. From what I've looked at, the cost to install uppers is higher than just buying a whole complete upper arm. Any reason you went with upper ball joints over the complete upper arm which would also give you new bushings? Are you installing all of it yourself or having it done, and at what cost? I have a quote of $500 for labor for upper arms, lower ball joints, and 1 inner tie rod. Thanks again for the post.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. How long have you had the parts in and how are the Mevotech parts holding up? I have always heard go Moog or nothing at all since all others supposedly wear out too fast. Also noticed you ordered upper ball joints. From what I've looked at, the cost to install uppers is higher than just buying a whole complete upper arm. Any reason you went with upper ball joints over the complete upper arm which would also give you new bushings? Are you installing all of it yourself or having it done, and at what cost? I have a quote of $500 for labor for upper arms, lower ball joints, and 1 inner tie rod. Thanks again for the post.
I just got them in the other day so haven't tried tackling it yet I am shooting for this weekend dependent upon the weather, hardest part I believe will be the ball joints and I should be able to rent a ball joint tool, I haven't done them before but from the video's I have watched before it shouldn't be all that bad not sure what all is entailed but it's a 2wd so not much in the way, I should have a puller in my tool box for the idler & pitman arm I haven't done those before so it may be learning procedure I haven't ever used mevotech before but that's what the shop that did the diagnosis was going to put on at 3X the cost of what I paid for the parts. there total even without the ball joints was going to be $653.00, so if I manage to get it all done myself the only thing I will have to pay for is a alignment

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Good luck with the project. I'm interested to hear how it goes and turns out. I could probably do it myself too, but I always have a time shortage between work and other obligations. I've got a labor estimate only of around $500-$600 to do the job.

Good luck!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
haven't bit into it yet as of this morning but this guy laid out the process pretty well the one I will be working on is a 2wd so no front axle to deal with
only thing he doesn't mention is the torq specs for anything but the axle nut

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094