04 tahoe no bose system. need guidance for stereo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

warbird

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
looking to upgrade my head unit and speakers... current stock speakers are all blown...i am no audiophile. i mostly listen to comedy and some music but no need for huge decibels...i do however want a DD HU with NAV and BT for my phone..

i am looking for reccomendations on a good budget friendly HU, direct replacement speakers and what wiring harness is best...i do not have Bose or steering wheel controls

thank you

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bluetooth, is almost a standard feature, and I doubt you will find a head unit with nav that doesn't have it. I would suggest searching through Cruchfield.com . They are a popular recommendation, because they: can help with everything you need for your setup, I'm pretty sure they will price match (but are usually right at the competitive price), they have a lot of information on their easily navigated site, and they offer support on everything they sell for three months.

To keep it simple I would say avoid an amplifier, because it sounds like you don't need one. I would pick out your head unit first (which is usually dependent on someone's budget), then get speakers that match the wattage of the head unit (probably 22-50w per channel depending). Head unit is going to be anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand. Speakers for a low wattage setup will be about $100 for two pair. If you look at a few NAV units, and are uncertain, read up on android auto or apple carplay depending on your phone. Just be aware of what it is, and what it does, and that might sway your decision.

Crutchfield will most likely include any harness needed to hook up the head unit (free), unless you are wanting to add steering wheel controls. There should be threads in here on that if that's a priority (or even down the road).

From here, I would say either fill us in with what the budget is, or what models you are looking at.

Just to throw it out there, if the budget allows it (probably $600-$800, or less for partial), and considering you like talk radio and not loud. You might want to add some sound deadening. You can just do the doors (for about $150-$200), and then use the rest for floorboards, or do the entire thing. It will help to quiet down the outside ambient noise, help make your music/radio more clear. Its the equivalent of sitting in traffic listening to your radio with the windows down, then putting them up to block out the outside noise. I did it and really enjoy the calming quietness I have the option to enjoy (and now usually prefer it).

Macks2DrTahoe

Reaction score
looking to upgrade my head unit and speakers... current stock speakers are all blown...i am no audiophile. i mostly listen to comedy and some music but no need for huge decibels...i do however want a DD HU with NAV and BT for my phone..

i am looking for reccomendations on a good budget friendly HU, direct replacement speakers and what wiring harness is best...i do not have Bose or steering wheel controls

thank you

What Tahoe/Yukon are you upgrading?

OB 04Denali

Reaction score
2004 tahoe.
Call me crazy, but i was looking into an android head unit for a while, about 2 years ago my girlfriend got me me one I was looking at. After a few tiny kinks, I will never go back to regular head units. Everything in my truck is aftermarket and amped, but i tell ya, it's a totally different world having one of those.

Macks2DrTahoe

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but i was looking into an android head unit for a while, about 2 years ago my girlfriend got me me one I was looking at. After a few tiny kinks, I will never go back to regular head units. Everything in my truck is aftermarket and amped, but i tell ya, it's a totally different world having one of those.

Same here. I have an ATOTO A6 android system. It's really an android tablet made for your car. I download the apps that a use from the google app store....a music player, a video player, a nav system, and a engine monitoring system. No CD/DVD player which means no moving parts. I converted about 2000+ songs and a few videos to a SD card. All are ready to call up on different playlist. Been running for about 2yrs with no problem.

OB 04Denali

Reaction score
Same here. I have an ATOTO A6 android system. It's really an android tablet made for your car. I download the apps that a use from the google app store....a music player, a video player, a nav system, and a engine monitoring system. No CD/DVD player which means no moving parts. I converted about 2000+ songs and a few videos to a SD card. All are ready to call up on different playlist. Been running for about 2yrs with no problem.
Yep same here. Definitely cool stuff.

Jeff Groves

Retired Demo Expert. I don't need to run anymore!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was just checking on the ATOTO A6 with hand gesture control.
That is some really cool stuff!

Wonder if SWMBO will stop talking with her hands if I buy one?

Macks2DrTahoe

Reaction score
Was just checking on the ATOTO A6 with hand gesture control.
That is some really cool stuff!

Wonder if SWMBO will stop talking with her hands if I buy one?

If an ATOTO can do that I'll get one for the Man Cave too :D .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98