04 Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indigoblue2001

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can i use a trans out of a 2wd Tahoe 01-06 to replace my AWD setup while I rebuild my AWD set up. Reason I am asking is bc this is my daily driver and i can not be without a vehicle. I can get a 2wd setup cheap. I have a 2004 denali awd 6.0 and i myself am going to rebuild it. so a yes or no answer would do. thank you in advance

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you would likely need to change the trannys tail shaft and housing to mate it to the transfer case.

i know a guy who made a 4wd tranny into a 2 wd one. so it should go both ways.

OP
OP
I

indigoblue2001

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
you would likely need to change the trannys tail shaft and housing to mate it to the transfer case.

i know a guy who made a 4wd tranny into a 2 wd one. so it should go both ways.

basically its going to take me a while to rebuild so id need the 2wd trans and drive shaft. some said i need the trans support also bc they are different. i dont feel they are due to the trans should mount the same either trans i use just one has a tail end the other doesnt. but that is my goal is to use the 2wd trans if it bolts right up

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you are removing the transmission plus AWD transfer case and are going to try to temporarily cobble in a std 2 whl drive drivetrain in place of the AWD? Simple answer is YES that can be done but if I were doing this I would want full easy access to the 2wd donor vehicle, so I could snag everything and anything that I needed as I figured out exactly what that was. There will be some surprises before this little project comes to a close. Please keep us updated we are on the edge of our collective chairs and popcorn is popping.