04 Denali

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by indigoblue2001, Dec 6, 2018.

1. indigoblue2001

indigoblue2001 TYF Newbie

Name:
    richard
    Can i use a trans out of a 2wd Tahoe 01-06 to replace my AWD setup while I rebuild my AWD set up. Reason I am asking is bc this is my daily driver and i can not be without a vehicle. I can get a 2wd setup cheap. I have a 2004 denali awd 6.0 and i myself am going to rebuild it. so a yes or no answer would do. thank you in advance

2. Scottydoggs

Scottydoggs Full Access Member

Name:
    Scott
    you would likely need to change the trannys tail shaft and housing to mate it to the transfer case.

i know a guy who made a 4wd tranny into a 2 wd one. so it should go both ways.

3. indigoblue2001

indigoblue2001 TYF Newbie

Name:
    richard
    basically its going to take me a while to rebuild so id need the 2wd trans and drive shaft. some said i need the trans support also bc they are different. i dont feel they are due to the trans should mount the same either trans i use just one has a tail end the other doesnt. but that is my goal is to use the 2wd trans if it bolts right up

4. dnt1010

dnt1010 Member

Name:
    Darryl
    It sounds like you are removing the transmission plus AWD transfer case and are going to try to temporarily cobble in a std 2 whl drive drivetrain in place of the AWD? Simple answer is YES that can be done but if I were doing this I would want full easy access to the 2wd donor vehicle, so I could snag everything and anything that I needed as I figured out exactly what that was. There will be some surprises before this little project comes to a close. Please keep us updated we are on the edge of our collective chairs and popcorn is popping.