04 Denali, long cranking before starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mhorn0817

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so i put a FP gauge on it to test it. Truck sat for a hour, i turned the key and fp went to 15, off and on again and went to 40, off and on again and went to 55. Let it sit and it dropped to 30 in about 1 minute. Stared the truck and jumped and stayed at 60. Turned it off and dropped to 30 in a minite, 20 in 2 minutes, 10 in 10 minutes.

Also my brother said the smell is strogest under the truck by the tank. I had him cycle the key on and off while i laid under it and as the truck would prime i could hear a whoosh sound like pressure was being let off, not sure if thatd normal or not.

So im guessing ill just have to start with replacing the pump assembly and go from there.

OP
OP
M

mhorn0817

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking maybe a line on top of the tank is where/why the strong smell is coming from

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking maybe a line on top of the tank is where/why the strong smell is coming from
The fittings at the fuel pump are known to rust out and leak due to the fact the design of the tank has an area where the pump can sit in a big puddle of eater. Especially if you're in the rust belt and it's salty water.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ Good call, guys. '04 model, Maryland, smells gas around the tank... Yeah, it's probably an external leak.