04 Denali Grill Chrome Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is mine. I have been trying to figure out a way to remove the chrome from the grill ...

Chrome can be chemically stripped from plastic. I've had success using Superclean (formerly Castrol Superclean), sold at Walmart by the gallon. I use it full strength. It'll strip paint, too. But I've never had it harm plastics. It takes hours to days, depending on the thickness of the chrome/paint.

I've also read that oven cleaner, or brake fluid work. But I've never tried either one. For such a big part, foaming oven cleaner might be more practical, since it'll cling, vs. filling up a large tub with Superclean to do it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chrome can be chemically stripped from plastic. I've had success using Superclean (formerly Castrol Superclean), sold at Walmart by the gallon. I use it full strength. It'll strip paint, too. But I've never had it harm plastics. It takes hours to days, depending on the thickness of the chrome/paint.

I've also read that oven cleaner, or brake fluid work. But I've never tried either one. For such a big part, foaming oven cleaner might be more practical, since it'll cling, vs. filling up a large tub with Superclean to do it.
I tried all 3 of those on my Denali grill with none to very little effect. Seems the chrome is too thick or something. I saw all those YouTube vids of them stripping chrome off model toys and stuff but nobody doing it to a grill. If you’ve done a grill I want to see it because I don’t believe it can be done. Small pieces where you can tank them, maybe - but try to tank a complete grill. It would take 30 gallons at least.

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried all 3 of those on my Denali grill with none to very little effect. Seems the chrome is too thick or something. I saw all those YouTube vids of them stripping chrome off model toys and stuff but nobody doing it to a grill. If you’ve done a grill I want to see it because I don’t believe it can be done. Small pieces where you can tank them, maybe - but try to tank a complete grill. It would take 30 gallons at least.
I did some smaller chrome pieces on a car project years ago. It was a 1970's car, though. Maybe the process has changed since then. Figured it was worth a shot.

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve tried the oven cleaner, and the brake fluid trick and neither of those worked on mine either unfortunately. The only thing that I have found that even remotely started to work was bleach and a ton of Chlorine tabs and water. Only problem is that the grill is so big I would basically fill up a backhoe loader bucket with everything just to get it covered lol. It was getting a little on the expensive side without enough progress to merit it anymore in my opinion. So I’ve given up until I can find something that works better.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve tried the oven cleaner, and the brake fluid trick and neither of those worked on mine either unfortunately. The only thing that I have found that even remotely started to work was bleach and a ton of Chlorine tabs and water. Only problem is that the grill is so big I would basically fill up a backhoe loader bucket with everything just to get it covered lol. It was getting a little on the expensive side without enough progress to merit it anymore in my opinion. So I’ve given up until I can find something that works better.
I was going to try muriatic acid (diluted) as a last resort but couldn’t justify buying a tub big enough to put it in. I did try brushing it on but it needs to be submerged for a period of time. Besides, after all my trial and error my OE grill was shot. Oh, I forgot the last thing I tried was the propane torch trick. I actually got some to peel off kinda easily but it was impossible to keep from melting plastic, it seemed that right about the time the chrome wanted to curl up was right about the time the plastic wanted to melt. I really did try everything lmao.

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to try muriatic acid (diluted) as a last resort but couldn’t justify buying a tub big enough to put it in. I did try brushing it on but it needs to be submerged for a period of time. Besides, after all my trial and error my OE grill was shot. Oh, I forgot the last thing I tried was the propane torch trick. I actually got some to peel off kinda easily but it was impossible to keep from melting plastic, it seemed that right about the time the chrome wanted to curl up was right about the time the plastic wanted to melt. I really did try everything lmao.
Lmao I did try a heat gun but never tried the torch haha. I actually got super lucky and picked up an extra Denali grill from my local scrap yard to experiment on so I didn’t have to ruin the one I was using.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lmao I did try a heat gun but never tried the torch haha. I actually got super lucky and picked up an extra Denali grill from my local scrap yard to experiment on so I didn’t have to ruin the one I was using.
By this time I already had a brand new one waiting in the wings lol.

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 225456 There’s no way to remove the chrome because the grill is plastic. I researched it and tried everything. I had a friend who owns a body shop sand the hell out of a new aftermarket one and paint it. It’s been about 3 years and it has a few rock chips but no chrome showing through them. Yours would look better painted to match @denali5500 but I’d leave the center chrome like you did since your truck is dark.
Edit: I have black headlights with smoke lenses and make up for that by running 55watt HID’s in the low beams and HIR in the high beams. Night vision is excellent.
I missed this post that you made, love your Nali looks super good. I actually had put the same hood on mine last Thursday lol. Here’s a more recent pic of mine and I also threw a couple of my other grill after the bleach trick. This was after letting it set all weekend probably 3 times or so.

8D95B742-C795-411C-8F18-FFB0E71D78D6.jpeg F8EADA90-D61A-4110-8339-7AB2E47C53DA.jpeg FBA4A871-C0D3-4AF9-A6FC-3B5FFA6D4012.jpeg

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought an aftermarket grill on eBay and had a body shop sand the crap out of it and paint the surround piece. I left the middle chrome which he said was a pain in the ass to mask off, which isn’t my problem to deal with.... lol. It’s got a couple little tiny chips from rocks but nothing major. The bigger problem I have now is that the side clip piece of plastic that clips into the fender is broken and I don’t know how to fix it other than just buying another grill and having it painted :banghead:

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons