03 Burb W/Bose, aftermarket Head Unit wiring questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRAAP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Daughter bought an 03 Burb 1500 4x4 LT W/Bose, RPO codes UC6-(multidisc), UK6-(rear headphones), UQ7-(BOSE), U2K-(Digital Audio).
We are installing Kenwood DDX396 with back up cam next week. She does NOT want to retain the chimes, she does not want any of the steering wheel controls, also she isn't concerned if the sound quality takes a mild hit due to BOSE amps/speakers with this head unit.
In wanting to keep this install as simple as possible and my being not so familiar with the '03 wiring and BOSE stuff, ('00-'02 is where my expertise lies), for the wiring portion is this as simple as utilizing a standard Metra or comparable harness adapter or should we be considering one of the add-on box kits?
Also doesn't the '03 DIC utilize some of the steering wheel controls? If so will this install cause issues? (Her Cluster was dead upon purchase so no idea on the DIC functionality, we removed the cluster as soon as we bought it and is still in the mail on the way to be rebuilt).

TIA,
Paul

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Daughter bought an 03 Burb 1500 4x4 LT W/Bose, RPO codes UC6-(multidisc), UK6-(rear headphones), UQ7-(BOSE), U2K-(Digital Audio).
We are installing Kenwood DDX396 with back up cam next week. She does NOT want to retain the chimes, she does not want any of the steering wheel controls, also she isn't concerned if the sound quality takes a mild hit due to BOSE amps/speakers with this head unit.
In wanting to keep this install as simple as possible and my being not so familiar with the '03 wiring and BOSE stuff, ('00-'02 is where my expertise lies), for the wiring portion is this as simple as utilizing a standard Metra or comparable harness adapter or should we be considering one of the add-on box kits?
Also doesn't the '03 DIC utilize some of the steering wheel controls? If so will this install cause issues? (Her Cluster was dead upon purchase so no idea on the DIC functionality, we removed the cluster as soon as we bought it and is still in the mail on the way to be rebuilt).

TIA,
Paul

Hi Paul. Sorry, I don’t have the answers you’re looking for, but my stock Bose speakers sounded way better after I installed the Kenwood DDX376BT to my ‘07 stock Bose system. I installed all the Maestro harnesses to retain the wheel controls and the chime (and whatever else it retained). I’m curious as to why she doesn’t want wheel controls? I don’t think I’d be able to sleep at night without volume control on the wheel. Haha!

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't recall if there was an easy way like my 02 to bypass the factory amp. if so I would think the sound would be better as the deck would feed directly to the speakers at that point.

OP
OP
BRAAP

BRAAP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Jason in DLH, post: 1543480,... I’m curious as to why she doesn’t want wheel controls? I don’t think I’d be able to sleep at night without volume control on the wheel. Haha![/QUOTE]

Good info thank you.
Her usage of the unit is primarily for the back up camera and hands free calls. She may play a DVD while parked for entertaining wee ones on occasion.
I’m with you, prefer steering wheel controls that some of my LSx swap projects had.

OP
OP
BRAAP

BRAAP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
don't recall if there was an easy way like my 02 to bypass the factory amp. if so I would think the sound would be better as the deck would feed directly to the speakers at that point.

Hoping there is, as you mentioned the ‘00-‘02 are fairly straightforward wiring wise. Between myself, my wife, 2 daughters, and my parents we have five 01’s and an ‘05, now an ‘03 in the family.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Jason in DLH, post: 1543480,... I’m curious as to why she doesn’t want wheel controls? I don’t think I’d be able to sleep at night without volume control on the wheel. Haha!

Good info thank you.
Her usage of the unit is primarily for the back up camera and hands free calls. She may play a DVD while parked for entertaining wee ones on occasion.
I’m with you, prefer steering wheel controls that some of my LSx swap projects had.[/QUOTE]

If she wants the video to continue to play while driving, simply connect the parking brake wire to a screw on the chassis of the Kenwood.

Lawrence Tureaud

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does it have Onstar? Mine makes a nasty dinging noise whenever I start-up because the onstar was disconnected, so be prepared if that happens to you. Honestly I’ve heard it for 10 years now so I think it is normal, but other people are always asking wth is that whenever I start my car.

Also second the connecting parking brake wire to a screw, it doesn’t cause any problems and let’s you play movies whenever. I had my stereo installed and they left the wire hanging out so I could “Do whatever you want with it” since they aren’t allowed to ground it out for liability. It is on some screw for the dash.

03greenZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

TIA,
Paul
I have an 03 Tahoe with the Bose setup and I used the Crux interface box sold by Crutchfield. It was under $100. It worked great and did retain all factory wheel controls and dings but I don’t have Onstar. I do not believe there is a harness to bypass the amp out in the market for the 03-06. I would highly recommend the investment, it saves so much time and hassle.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you look at your vehicle and radio on www.crutchfield.com it will show you the installation materials needed, and probably 4 interfaces (Crux, PAC, etc.) you can use to retain various functions. Get the makes and models of the interfaces and check some online pricing. You said that she already has the HU but buying from Crutchfield can get you some decent discounts on the installation stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal