03 4x4 issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bwhntr6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
about 2 years ago i had issues with the 4x4 selector buttons not working.
luckily, on this site i found out it was a cold solder issue and i was able to repair the problem.

i always have it set to 2-hi when i drive
for the past several months when i start it up it randomly sets to auto, or 4 low.

sometimes i can go days and it will stay on 2-hi and sometimes it will select a different 4x4 setting.

is this normal?

my main concern is that one day i started it up, drove off and realized it randomly selected 4hi since i can feel the heavy load while driving.

so i pulled over put it in neutral and selected 2hi.
when i did this i heard and felt to loud clunking or thumping sounds which i think came from the rear end.

are the gears going bad?

what should i look for or open up to inspect?

Sean James

Reaction score
I have had the same issues on both a yukon and a tahoe! Both times it was just the dash switch, took 10 minutes to swap out each one and fixed it immediatly. Autozone has dorman replacement switches for $45! They have both fit and worked perfectly. For the price, i would change the switch before wasting money on encoders and hours of labor and wasted time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63