(03-06) Power-with-ignition wire [How-to]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthony

2004 Tahoe LT (MA)
Reaction score
Diagram of the wires:
wirediagram04tahoe.jpg

Thank JK and ItsAdam1 for this excellent info:
-Use the pink wire from the ign harness. This will power the ****** only when the key is in the run position.

Q:How do you get to that wire?
A:If you remove the knee bolster trim (panel underneath the steering column), you will see the harness coming from behind the ign switch. The harness also runs to the left side of the column into the back of the fuse panel. It may be easier to splice into the wire to the left of the column.
To remove the knee bolster trim, you'll have to unclip the lower portion of the IP/dash trim bezel, then remove two 7mm bolts from the bottom of the knee bolster panel.

Q:Why will some wires not test correctly and/or give power with ignition when I splice into them?
A:A lot of the components in the 07+, and even some in the 03+ trucks, are turned on via data signal from the BCM rather than +12vdc. So when looking for an acc or ign source from components that turn on with acc/ign via LAN, CANBUS, DB, etc, you won't be able to find it on the harness like typical 12 volt sources.

Q: What are my other (sometimes easier) solutions?
A:Use one of these.(fuse taps)
add-a-circuit.jpg

Where to find:
I usually get them at autozone the minis are a bit harder to find but they are there.
I usually just take a test light and for example the radio circuit is switched but to double check touch the test light to the top of the fuse. if you look real close there is a little metal part on either side and they will tell you if its got power.
20305f-outlined.jpg
Now with the car on if it lights up it maybe be switch. When you shut off the power it shouldn't light up if it dose then it isn't switched it constant

Last edited:
OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

2004 Tahoe LT (MA)
Reaction score
I used to (10AMP) so total of 20 on the IGN (ignition) fuse

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

2004 Tahoe LT (MA)
Reaction score
how much extra power wire was needed for this? where did you ground too?

What do you mean, "how much extra power wire was needed for this?" I just have spools of 100ft wire I use. I grounded to a bolt under the dash

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
Like how much did you add (power wire) to the wire that came with it? Idk if you were someone who said it needed more or not. But i heard you had to add more power wire to the already existing power wire from the kit.. ??? lol idk

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

2004 Tahoe LT (MA)
Reaction score
Yea i just simply crimped more wire onto the the end to extend it to the fuse tap, I would say 4-6 Feet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore