02 Yukon Denali PO420 Code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That's your bank 1, cylinder 1 side, cat efficiency. Likely have a catalytic converter going bad or oxygen sensors problems. How old is the cats and sensors?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be the sensor or the cat. To check the sensor you can swap it to the other side. Bank 1 is the driver side. This would be downstream sensors, the ones after the cats. Swap those sensors side-to-side and see if the code follows the sensor and now shows a DTC for bank 2. If so, it’s a bad sensor. If it still shows a code for bank 1, it’s the cat.

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the Possible Causes of the P0420 Code?
A faulty catalytic converter is the most frequent cause of a P0420 trouble code. Common issues that can cause this OBD-II code include:

• A failed catalytic converter
  • A faulty oxygen sensor
  • Circuit problems, such as damaged wiring and loose connections
  • An exhaust leak
The odds of CAT being bad are pretty slim, but without diagnostic testing it is hard to say.

HO2S Bank 1 Sensor 1: This parameter displays the voltage from the signal produced by the heated oxygen sensor used to monitor fuel trim for cylinder bank 1. The scan tool will display a low voltage reading when that cylinder bank is running lean. The scan tool will display a high voltage reading when that cylinder bank is running rich.

HO2S Bank 1 Sensor 2: This parameter displays the voltage from the signal produced by the heated oxygen sensor used to monitor catalyst efficiency for cylinder bank 1. The scan tool will display a low voltage reading when that cylinder bank is running lean. The scan tool will display a high voltage reading when that cylinder bank is running rich.

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To check the sensor you can swap it to the other side. Bank 1 is the driver side. This would be downstream sensors, the ones after the cats. Swap those sensors side-to-side and see if the code follows the sensor and now shows a DTC for bank 2. If so, it’s a bad sensor. If it still shows a code for bank 1, it’s the cat.

Thanks, brilliant idea, that will save me from buying unneeded stuff... I keep getting and clearing p0420 code, thats all I get is that code... so your idea oughta work!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, brilliant idea, that will save me from buying unneeded stuff... I keep getting and clearing p0420 code, thats all I get is that code... so your idea oughta work!

Trust your computer. If your O2 sensors were bad, the computer would throw O2 sensor codes. Your Bank 1 catalyst is bad. A fouled plug or leaking injector can kill a cat, not to mention a blown or leaky head gasket.

Cheap Chicom cats last less than a year generally speaking. Been down this road before and went Magnaflow through GotExhaust on here. @GotExhaust.com

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any update? Did you swap the sensor to the other side? Curious if it’s the cat or sensor.

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I took a chance and cleaned the MAF and new air filter... and so far (80 miles) no codes... I was getting them every 30 miles or so, maybe that did it? I'll update in a few more miles.... A friend suggested it might be that and/or loose conncections at the MAF, so I tighened and cleaned everything.... so far so good, I'll see... $350 to replace CAT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TIMMY_B