02 Tahoe radio/factory amp issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SRAD600

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, believe it or not I used to install 12v electronics for a living BUT that was like 15 years ago and I apparently dont remember nearly as much as Id like to think I do.

2002 Tahoe LS, non Bose, NO OnStar, WITH factory amp and sub.

Stock radio, everything works fine (besides the left side speakers sounding like a$$) when I put in the Pioneer I have no audio. OK, so I know I have to fire up the factory amp. I noticed when removing the stock HU that I did not have the secondary harness I remember being in them usually. This means there is no "pink wire" every one always tells you to use for amp turn on. I test around the unused wires in the harness and find a green wire that tests like an amp turn on. Connect the blue from the radio and there we go, working radio....until the Tahoe moves! As soon as the Tahoe goes in motion enough to move the speedo needle no more audio. Put the stock back in and its fine, put the Pioneer deck in my wifes car and ITs fine.

I remember a from yesteryear all kinds of tricky stuff to do including using "t harnesses" to relocate the factory radio when OnStar and the door chime were issues, but that doesnt seem to be the case here. I just dont every remember the Amp cutting out when the Tahoe is in motion.

Im driving 4 hours one way with the Tahoe on Thursday and Id love to have the bluetooth radio in by then. Ideas?

OP
OP
S

SRAD600

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ive found a few other people around the web with this issue posted up but of course no one posted once they resolved it.

Im sure Ill figure it out once I have time to test some wires at the amp. I know it gets signal to turn on from some where. Im just hoping that wire doesnt go dead once in motion as part of the speed sensitive volume and its something the stock deck overrides some how. Ive been spending too much time getting the Jeep ready for Jeep Jam to work on the Tahoe.

boomboom baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you bought an aftermarket wire harness to install your radio take the remote from new head unit and hook it to the the remote on the new wit harness that what I did on my 01 Tahoe and my 02 jeep Cherokee

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Screenshot_2016-08-22-07-53-31.png

It would appear the orange wire is the amp turn on wire. And if I recall it is in the harness... should pretty well be plug and play

OP
OP
S

SRAD600

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah it def wasnt plug and play. I bought the Metra harness and no go.

I know there were not any "unused" orange wires, meaning they went pin for pin with the metra harness with the exception of 2 green wires and a brown BUT thanks for that. Ill try and see what I can find. Not sure why the one green wires works the way it does. Ill be sure to post back either way.

OP
OP
S

SRAD600

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Turns out the orange wires were reversed or something in the harness. I had a minute to go check and jumped the amp turn on to the orange wires that was mated to the constant wire from the harness and it works like a champ even when moving.

I wont be able to go back out to the Tahoe and see if they are really reversed or something is just goofy till my wife gets back home. Sick baby and sick daddy for the loss.

At least its easy going from here. Thanks.

Nick Ferchau

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
which wire did you end up connecting to the constant power? I am having the same type of issue

jhouston

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interesting because the only way I was able to get sound with my kenwood was to slice the pink wire from the secondary cable into the blue antenna wire, otherwise no sound period...

02 hoe with onstar & factory amp, no bose... well it had onstar, I got rid of all that crap.

rndsommer

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I used the power antenna (blue wire on radio harness to pink wire on car harness) to fire up the factory amp. I used it because the blue wire is only hot when the radio is powered on and I'm deathly afraid of creating some sort of parasitic drain. Worked fine.