02 Tahoe. Got new rear hatch, it won’t latch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Z

Zzyn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch folks. I’m going to take it back for a replacement. It looks bent. Came from a salvage yard. Bending it back could break the glass.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Use your old glass if possible. Easy peasy to change.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Following. I replaced the struts for the hatch and glass. Noticed then that my glass won't catch easily and takes some fiddling. Not inclined to spend the $300ish on new latch, yet.

I rarely use it, so NBD, but it'll rattle around in my head forever.

I'm original owner and no wrecks, so kinda puzzled.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Following. I replaced the struts for the hatch and glass. Noticed then that my glass won't catch easily and takes some fiddling. Not inclined to spend the $300ish on new latch, yet.

I rarely use it, so NBD, but it'll rattle around in my head forever.

I'm original owner and no wrecks, so kinda puzzled.
struts should not affect how the glass shut's other than making it firmer than it was before, if you open the glass hatch and look up where the hinges are and then wiggle the glass it will have a very slight amount of play, there is really no way for the struts to make the glass "move" the hinge is glued to the glass and then pinned to the hatch and held in place with a little c clip, if the struts were out of spec maybe it could make it either so it would not shut at all or make it lopsided a little tiny bit, try swapping the struts from side to side and see if it makes any difference.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
struts should not affect how the glass shut's other than making it firmer than it was before, if you open the glass hatch and look up where the hinges are and then wiggle the glass it will have a very slight amount of play, there is really no way for the struts to make the glass "move" the hinge is glued to the glass and then pinned to the hatch and held in place with a little c clip, if the struts were out of spec maybe it could make it either so it would not shut at all or make it lopsided a little tiny bit, try swapping the struts from side to side and see if it makes any difference.
Will do. It has likely been that way for years. I rarely open the glass. Replacing the struts was just the impetus for noticing it doesn't shut properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon