02 Base for my son

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
I've got a bunch of fans laying around in the shop if you need one. I think I have some ones with filters, too. Lmk.
Thanks. I really wish I would have seen this 2 days ago. I bought a dual fan setup off Amazon. They were only $15 which I didn’t think was too bad. What I really liked about them is they plug into the usb on the stereo and have a 3 setting switch. So they will come on and off with the stereo and I don’t have to remember to turn on and off. But I really appreciate the offer. I have a few here at work that are 120v and I was thinking of a way to tie them into the power button on stereo but I didn’t want to dissect it just in case I have an issue with it and they tell me I voided any warranty. Now I just need to cut some openings for them. I’ve been just opening the front while it’s on which kinda defeats the whole purpose of building the enclosure.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
I ran up north last week on Wednesday til Saturday. Brought the family up for a little R&R. Jack drove the Intrepid and followed me with Josh and Lola. It was nice because we weren’t all crammed in the truck. Didn’t do much, had to get the grass cut and meet the guy who’s doing the roof for me. I was gonna do it this year but I just don’t have the time and I can’t put it off another year. Paid $4800 for a complete tear off and replace with ice and water and 2 new skylights. I think they were gonna get it done this week but I haven’t heard it was done yet.
6F202E2F-FE91-41A4-9C0E-878E4AD324E0.jpeg

These guys that are suppose to move the garage are really getting on my last nerve. It’s costing me $6800 to have pad poured up to existing pad and they’ll rebar it into the pad that’s there. They wanted to move the garage into the driveway, cut and remove part of the existing concrete pad and pour a complete new pad and then move garage onto it but that was $10k. I said I’d rather just attach to pad that’s there and move garage once but he said he couldn’t guarantee it won’t settle. I get what he’s saying but it’s just my snowmobile garage. It’s a chance I’m willing to take to save a few bucks. So he agreed to do it, I gave them half down and he said he would get it done either before August 1rst or the week after. They haven’t done nothing yet! I need that done so I can move all my stuff back into it before the snow falls. I swear, the people up there don’t wanna work.
F4CA4600-27BD-426D-BCC3-BD700D116F5C.jpeg

It’s sitting empty with power disconnected waiting on these people.
5A59C067-0BF7-484D-AE68-1AC8D3DDDC4D.jpeg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I really wish I would have seen this 2 days ago. I bought a dual fan setup off Amazon. They were only $15 which I didn’t think was too bad. What I really liked about them is they plug into the usb on the stereo and have a 3 setting switch. So they will come on and off with the stereo and I don’t have to remember to turn on and off. But I really appreciate the offer. I have a few here at work that are 120v and I was thinking of a way to tie them into the power button on stereo but I didn’t want to dissect it just in case I have an issue with it and they tell me I voided any warranty. Now I just need to cut some openings for them. I’ve been just opening the front while it’s on which kinda defeats the whole purpose of building the enclosure.

It's fairly common for AV receivers to have a switched 120VAC receptacle. But you should be fine with the USB fans.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
It's fairly common for AV receivers to have a switched 120VAC receptacle. But you should be fine with the USB fans.
For some strange reason this receiver doesn’t have a switched plug on the back. All my other Sony ones did. Always plugged the CD changer into it. And this USB port says “for service only”. So I had to run the fan power to my surge protector that has USB outlets and have to remember to turn off the switch.
Here’s how I ended up installing the fans.
Drilled a 3” hole in both sides.
1456F262-A0EC-40A0-964D-3B2664A6FE38.jpeg

One fan blows out from the inside and is screwed into place.
92636C51-6228-49AA-BB92-554F0A791798.jpeg

The outside of the fan has a filter behind the guard. And you can see I used double sided tape to hold the switch where I can get to it.
8135B78E-8D8C-4EF4-891F-5BD8F738EE74.jpeg

The intake side I cut a piece of what I had laying around and painted it. It holds a double layer of filter material.
0B64DB32-92C7-496F-A7D4-68D74E32E376.jpeg

The second fan is on top of the receiver pulling air up. I know the holes are low and probably should have them up where the hot air would be but at first I was gonna have one fan blow in and other blow out and I wanted the air to move thru the side vents of receiver but realized after that there wasn’t enough room for fans on either side. It’s still moving air thru the cabinet so I’m not too concerned. I even closed up the hole in the back where the wires come thru with some foam I had.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Not sure if I got into this before but we have an 06 Ram bighorn at work that we abuse. The V box salt spreader goes in end of November and doesn’t come out until end of April most years. We plow with it and our plant has multiple rail crossings and speed bumps that really put a beating on our trucks. I hate plowing in the F250 because it’s a single cab and the seat don’t go back far enough for my liking. I like to use the crew cab Ram.
It started with a power steering leak at the pump. So I decided I would change it rather then it being sent out because it would have taken forever for them to finally give us the ok to bring it in. I did the pump, all the lines and the cooler. Few weeks later the trans cooler started leaking. So then I did new lines and cooler and a flush. The trans is only 4 years old in this thing because it’s been replaced when it lost reverse during plow season.
Right after plow season this year the steering was loose. I found a bad tie rod and drag link end. So again, I did the work and replaced the entire front steering system. I didn’t save the pics because they just took up space on my phone.
Then in June one of the guys mentioned that the ac doesn’t hold charge and would like to get that fixed. It doesn’t bother me about the ac but come winter I would like to have that just for defrosting the windows. So I tested it and found a bad seal in compressor behind clutch and the electric fan was bad for condenser. Had them order everything and I did the work. New compressor, accumulator, condenser with fan, new line with orifice and I also flushed evaporator and lines before putting it back together and charging it.
84B42622-4563-4B16-80F5-F36E8F98E301.jpeg
4B4C9957-5326-4DB3-95A7-36A3279A8DEA.jpeg

Couple weeks ago I get in it and the brake pedal is pulsing something horrible. I check it out and it’s coming from the drivers side rear. The rotor was horrible and looked like it almost delaminated. Again, no pics but the rotor is still here sitting outside so I’ll show that but it’s rusty now so might be hard to tell.
image.jpg
The pads looked brand new but I still replaced them. I almost think this was a bad rotor, I’ve never seen one delaminate like this before.
So anyway, while I’m doing the rear brakes I find a broken rear leaf spring. Now I wish I didn’t raise my hand to do the repairs on our trucks. This is gonna suck.

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
I send our supervisor the parts list and he orders them. I got the HD springs which are 3300# vs the 2960# ones. This thing fought me the entire time. I brought in my stands I made years ago for my lifted truck so I could support the frame in the back.
65608C42-4BB2-4F54-A386-13DF9B58EA22.jpeg

Things were so rusty and didn’t want to come apart.
49B10BDC-25AC-4355-833B-E22D30F0AFCB.jpeg

A0CB17BC-4D6A-4698-9EB3-1CAE36264199.jpeg

FF799E38-3670-40C5-9EE0-D593647F0A06.jpeg

OP
OP
Snowbound

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
I did end up getting the springs out but man were they some heavy suckers. The parking brake on the front and the hydraulic brake line on the rear of the axle, I could just drag them off or they would have broke the brake line so I had to lift these things out the back by myself. I tried setting the rear of the spring on the ground but they would have hit the brake line and because I’m by myself on nights nobody was around to grab the rear or at least give me something like a bucket to set it on. And of course my radio was 15 feet away from me at the time so I just struggled thru it.
5EF1D0AE-8BA7-42F4-9286-01E8BC8128B2.jpeg

I ended up taking the spring plates and shackle hangers home and blasting them. They were ugly.
81447638-D9F0-4724-A34D-E70AD360330E.jpeg
8074F29F-1496-44DF-AC95-0735F97376A1.jpeg
3 days later the parts came in from Rockauto.
4ABC42A0-CE26-46FA-92C7-62C5F120C371.jpeg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans