'01 Yukon Throttle body cleaned, low idle & quits now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
bill9000

bill9000

Reaction score
They are just "tech2" there isn't different models you may want to just be sure it has the last firmware update they offered.
in regards to your video I wonder if maybe you have some clogged injectors or maybe one is janky, it might be worth your time to have a fuel injector service done or at least run a few bottles of injector cleaner thru over the next several tanks of gas. a diagnostic tool would likely be pretty useful right about now

I'm not familiar with the diagnostic scanners, but am heavily looking into it now of course., so I am unsure how far they go.... so for example, IF there was an injector that is clogged, but there is no CEL on, would the diagnostic tool tell me that? or perhaps a weak spark or something from a spark plug... can it read stuff like that?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the diagnostic scanners, but am heavily looking into it now of course., so I am unsure how far they go.... so for example, IF there was an injector that is clogged, but there is no CEL on, would the diagnostic tool tell me that?
I don't think it would indicate that a injector is clogged in of itself but you may be able to read the associated data and likely make the conclusion of a clogged or clogged injectors or whatever the case may turn out to be, @swathdiver im sure has more experience in deciphering the data the tech2 can provide things like fuel trim and 02 sensor data may point you in the right direction. electronic tools can do a lot but sometimes they can't actually "see" what is happening so then you have to refer to manually observing or inspection to verify functionality of a part.
for instance if the tool is telling you the transmission is working 100% properly but you aren't moving you then look under the truck and see a driveline on the ground well then it was correct, it can only tell so much sometimes.

OP
OP
bill9000

bill9000

Reaction score
I don't think it would indicate that a injector is clogged in of itself but you may be able to read the associated data and likely make the conclusion of a clogged or clogged injectors or whatever the case may turn out to be, @swathdiver im sure has more experience in deciphering the data the tech2 can provide things like fuel trim and 02 sensor data may point you in the right direction. electronic tools can do a lot but sometimes they can't actually "see" what is happening so then you have to refer to manually observing or inspection to verify functionality of a part.
for instance if the tool is telling you the transmission is working 100% properly but you aren't moving you then look under the truck and see a driveline on the ground well then it was correct, it can only tell so much sometimes.

great analogy about the transmission, that makes sense.

I'm just trying to figure out best course of action here I dont mind having a tool like that, never know when it could be useful. (I don't trust shops, I'd rather have my own diag tool) -- I just cant justify buying it right now if it doesn't stand a likely chance to help with this issue.

Right now, the thing runs ok going down the road, but does this at idle... I just don't know if it's going to just up and quit one day and leave stranded in a snowstorm. (this is why I dont much like computer controlled vehicles either) but thats a different topic!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
great analogy about the transmission, that makes sense.

I'm just trying to figure out best course of action here I dont mind having a tool like that, never know when it could be useful. (I don't trust shops, I'd rather have my own diag tool) -- I just cant justify buying it right now if it doesn't stand a likely chance to help with this issue.

Right now, the thing runs ok going down the road, but does this at idle... I just don't know if it's going to just up and quit one day and leave stranded in a snowstorm. (this is why I dont much like computer controlled vehicles either) but thats a different topic!
to me it sounds like it is firing good just has that little hesitation which is why I say might just be injectors needing a cleaning, the chances it will just quit and leave you on the side of the road simply because of that are I think are pretty slim especially if there is no check engine light. I was on the fence about getting a tech2 but when I started having some unexplainable suspension errors (my 2012 has the magnetic ride control) I finally pulled the trigger, the tech2 pointed me directly to the problem (turned out to be a loose connector), since then I have used it to diagnose my hvac and a brake light on my Silverado, used it to test a problem with my factory radio amplifier, re calibrated my ride height sensors and probably some other things I can't remember at the moment I think I am ahead of the game as far as what I paid for the tool versus what I would have had to pay a shop to troubleshoot it for me, it's all cake from here on out

Last edited:
OP
OP
bill9000

bill9000

Reaction score
to me it sounds like it is firing good just has that little hesitation which is why I say might just be injectors needing a cleaning, the chances it will just quit and leave you on the side of the road simply because of that are I think are pretty slim especially if there is no check engine light. I was on the fence about getting a tech2 but when I started having some explainable suspension errors (my 2012 has the magnetic ride control) I finally pulled the trigger, the tech2 pointed me directly to the problem (turned out to be a loose connector), since then I have used it to diagnose my hvac and a brake light on my Silverado, used it to test a problem with my factory radio amplifier, re calibrated my ride height sensors and probably some other things I can't remember at the moment I think I am ahead of the game as far as what I paid for the tool versus what I would have had to pay a shop to troubleshoot it for me, it's all cake from here on out

thank you so much for your help!
I'll look into a diag scanner and to clean the injectors... I thought I had seen a video on how to clean them, something about charging them with electric to open them when out on bench or something like that.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thank you so much for your help!
I'll look into a diag scanner and to clean the injectors... I thought I had seen a video on how to clean them, something about charging them with electric to open them when out on bench or something like that.
only way I know of is either a shop uses a tool that connects to the fuel rail and they spray cleaner directly into the injectors or they are taken out and cleaned in a machine. aside from that I can only say to dump a couple bottles of injector cleaner in the tank each time you fill up for the time being and see if that helps smooth out the idle over time.

OP
OP
bill9000

bill9000

Reaction score
only way I know of is either a shop uses a tool that connects to the fuel rail and they spray cleaner directly into the injectors or they are taken out and cleaned in a machine. aside from that I can only say to dump a couple bottles of injector cleaner in the tank each time you fill up for the time being and see if that helps smooth out the idle over time.

I just looked at summit, and they have AC Delco injectors for a set of 8 for about $450-ish - may not hurt to just replace them all... that's a risky investment, but I guess it can't hurt...

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The menus and what you can see and do vary by model and even by year within the same models. I'm familiar with mine but not the others yet. That being said, you probably see enough functions to find the cause of this problem with the Tech-2.

This all started with the throttle body so that's where I'd keep looking. At it and anything attached to it. In my old muscle car, the IAC was under the throttle plate and when we sprayed cleaner on the plate, all the gunk would go down the hole to the IAC motor and then like knuckleheads, we had to pull the IAC, clean it and the cavity and put it all back together and let it relearn to idle again.

My Tech-2 paid for itself in short order as well. It's a money-making tool. So for those of us doing our own maintenance, it's a money-saving tool!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just looked at summit, and they have AC Delco injectors for a set of 8 for about $450-ish - may not hurt to just replace them all... that's a risky investment, but I guess it can't hurt...
I wouldn't do that until you at least try a cleaning first, I ran mine like a race car for 312k and the injectors never even looked sideways at me, but I also had them cleaned semi annually.

OP
OP
bill9000

bill9000

Reaction score
I wouldn't do that until you at least try a cleaning first, I ran mine like a race car for 312k and the injectors never even looked sideways at me, but I also had them cleaned semi annually.
ok, sounds good!

this one never has been cleaned ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Franny