'01 Yukon Throttle body cleaned, low idle & quits now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
bill9000

bill9000

Reaction score
is there a junk yard around you? if so you can probably pick up a used maf for around $30-35, a new delphi on rockauto is $85.00 there are some cheaper aftermarket ones but I wouldn't recommend them.

there really isn't - I'm not opposed to a new one, if that could be a likely culprit, I would buy one new. I just wanted to be sure the MAF could cause such a problem before spending the money. (I'm trying to save money for a down on a new truck, so trying to watch the spending)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there really isn't - I'm not opposed to a new one, if that could be a likely culprit, I would buy one new. I just wanted to be sure the MAF could cause such a problem before spending the money. (I'm trying to save money for a down on a new truck, so trying to watch the spending)
well without a computer diagnosis it's kind of a gamble, it could still be the iac or maf, technically it could be something else as well. if you want to roll the dice just so happens madcheetah on ebay has a new open box one for $59.95 free ship, i have had good luck buying from them before.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delphi-AF1...h=item591f5c563c:g:pKsAAOSwl7pcXsgE:rk:8:pf:0

OP
OP
bill9000

bill9000

Reaction score
well without a computer diagnosis it's kind of a gamble, it could still be the iac or maf, technically it could be something else as well. if you want to roll the dice just so happens madcheetah on ebay has a new open box one for $59.95 free ship, i have had good luck buying from them before.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delphi-AF1...h=item591f5c563c:g:pKsAAOSwl7pcXsgE:rk:8:pf:0
thank you! I will try one.

would a Matco Max go diagnostic scanner be of any use if there's no code being thrown? (I was looking at used ones on craigslist and facebook)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no experience with the matco I don't know what they are capable of a few of us have bought the tech2 clones off ebay for $300ish that is the oem diagnostic tool the dealers use for these years but they have since changed to a autel @swathdiver may know of the matco

OP
OP
bill9000

bill9000

Reaction score
I have no experience with the matco I don't know what they are capable of a few of us have bought the tech2 clones off ebay for $300ish that is the oem diagnostic tool the dealers use for these years but they have since changed to a autel @swathdiver may know of the matco

DO those ones (the ebay ones) give any valuable information for something such as what I'm dealing with, or are those only valuable if there's a code being thrown? :)

I was reading that some of the scanner tools can send data back, like sending an intruction to the computer to reset the TPS sensor, etc. - if that's true, I would definitely want to pick up one of those.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DO those ones (the ebay ones) give any valuable information for something such as what I'm dealing with, or are those only valuable if there's a code being thrown? :)

I was reading that some of the scanner tools can send data back, like sending an intruction to the computer to reset the TPS sensor, etc. - if that's true, I would definitely want to pick up one of those.
yes they are a dealer level technical tool, it is the same thing a technician would use if you took it to the dealer for diagnosis, it can read and program or reprogram all the different control modules and you can test a lot of functions like door locks and windows, hvac, lights, various motor controls, 02 sensor readings, fuel trims, all kinds of things.
It does take a slight learning curve to figure out when you first get it in your hands but if I can do it anybody can lol

OP
OP
bill9000

bill9000

Reaction score
That's pretty cool, I may definitely have to look into one of those, is there a specific model? (I really appreciate all your help!)

Also.... bad news for my problem, I just went and bought a new MAF, put it in, and same exact problem.... Nothing has fixed this issue:
here's a video I was just able to capture of what it sounds like (about 10 seconds in the video you can really hear it)

so far I've:

• New TPS Sensor
  • New MAF Sensor
  • Removed and cleaned throttle body
  • Cleaned Idle Air control valve
  • Tried New Idle Air control valve (length mismatch, engine quit immediately, put old (cleaned) one back in
  • New spark plugs
  • New spark plug wires

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you! I will try one.

would a Matco Max go diagnostic scanner be of any use if there's no code being thrown? (I was looking at used ones on craigslist and facebook)

Matco MaxGos, the tablet based one right? That's a bi-directional scan tool and looks like it would work at first glance. The Tech-2 was designed for working on these trucks and GM cars though. Couple that with the shop manual and you'll quickly find out why she won't idle.

I cannot emphasize enough the importance of running GM OE or ACDelco Professional parts in these trucks. Too many times we see the aftermarket ones just plain not working right with the stock system. I learned this the hard way thirty years ago as OE parts began to dry up for my muscle cars and the replacement parts were slowing them down.

A computerized motor that won't idle; the culprit is usually the Mass Airflow Sensor or a mighty big vacuum leak. Gotta see what the computer is seeing and compare against the manual's specs. Should've thrown a code but could be something else or it's in memory for some reason.

OP
OP
bill9000

bill9000

Reaction score
Matco MaxGos, the tablet based one right? That's a bi-directional scan tool and looks like it would work at first glance. The Tech-2 was designed for working on these trucks and GM cars though. Couple that with the shop manual and you'll quickly find out why she won't idle.

I cannot emphasize enough the importance of running GM OE or ACDelco Professional parts in these trucks. Too many times we see the aftermarket ones just plain not working right with the stock system. I learned this the hard way thirty years ago as OE parts began to dry up for my muscle cars and the replacement parts were slowing them down.

A computerized motor that won't idle; the culprit is usually the Mass Airflow Sensor or a mighty big vacuum leak. Gotta see what the computer is seeing and compare against the manual's specs. Should've thrown a code but could be something else or it's in memory for some reason.

Thanks, I just posted (probably same time as you) a video right before your post... I was able to capture the problem (sound) on video... (with a brand new MAF)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty cool, I may definitely have to look into one of those, is there a specific model? (I really appreciate all your help!)

Also.... bad news for my problem, I just went and bought a new MAF, put it in, and same exact problem.... Nothing has fixed this issue:
here's a video I was just able to capture of what it sounds like (about 10 seconds in the video you can really hear it)

so far I've:

• New TPS Sensor
  • New MAF Sensor
  • Removed and cleaned throttle body
  • Cleaned Idle Air control valve
  • Tried New Idle Air control valve (length mismatch, engine quit immediately, put old (cleaned) one back in
  • New spark plugs
  • New spark plug wires
They are just "tech2" there isn't different models you may want to just be sure it has the last firmware update they offered.
in regards to your video I wonder if maybe you have some clogged injectors or maybe one is janky, it might be worth your time to have a fuel injector service done or at least run a few bottles of injector cleaner thru over the next several tanks of gas. a diagnostic tool would likely be pretty useful right about now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe