01 Yukon Fuel pump wiring/Won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miami592

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I replaced the fuel pump on my 01 Yukon 5.3 and the new pump came with a new pigtail. The wiring diagram was absolutely baffling. Showing to connect wires in opposite ways. Needless to say, it now won't start and the fuel gauge is pegged around the 5 o'clock position. Something is wired incorrectly. Does anyone know what the wires coming off the old pump do by color & size? Two are thicker (diagram says fuel gauge sender?)

Any help is greatly appreciated- Jeff

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the fuel pump on my 01 Yukon 5.3 and the new pump came with a new pigtail. The wiring diagram was absolutely baffling. Showing to connect wires in opposite ways. Needless to say, it now won't start and the fuel gauge is pegged around the 5 o'clock position. Something is wired incorrectly. Does anyone know what the wires coming off the old pump do by color & size? Two are thicker (diagram says fuel gauge sender?)

Any help is greatly appreciated- Jeff
Show us a pic of the instructions and diagram. If I see that I can probably explain it to you. They changed the plug on the new pumps as an upgrade over the old ones that had melting issues. When I did mine, I didn’t find it confusing at all, pretty straightforward. It’s only a few wires. What brand pump also? I recommend an OEM unless you like dropping the tank. A lifetime warranty on a p.o.s. doesn’t change the fact it’s a p.o.s and they don’t cover your labor when it fails again.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you might be looking at the connectors wrong. The diagrams usually depict looking at the back of the connector and some people don’t see that note and end up looking at the front of the connector which confuses you because it’s not right. Here’s a 1A Auto video on it. I believe the instruction sheets are universal between brands because I’ve done 2 of these and I swear the instructions for both are the one in this video.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you might be looking at the connectors wrong. The diagrams usually depict looking at the back of the connector and some people don’t see that note and end up looking at the front of the connector which confuses you because it’s not right. Here’s a 1A Auto video on it. I believe the instruction sheets are universal between brands because I’ve done 2 of these and I swear the instructions for both are the one in this video.
OP trying to get that level sensor to arc and then go meet Jesus!

OP
OP
M

miami592

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the guidance. I've attached the diagram that came with the pump. I'll pull the tank again tomorrow & see how I messed up the wiring.
Scanned DocumentWireDiag.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the guidance. I've attached the diagram that came with the pump. I'll pull the tank again tomorrow & see how I messed up the wiring.
View attachment 377256
Yep that's the standard diagram. I'm pretty sure you were looking at the front of the connectors. Notice it says "wire side of connector" which is looking from the back of the both connectors. Easy mistake. Connect #1 to #1 etc. Hope you still have the old connector so you'll know which color wire goes to each location. It will be easier if you look at the old connector from the back side and write down what color wire goes to each location, #1-4 and then do the same with the new connector (unless the new one has all the same color wires).

OP
OP
M

miami592

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What is the secret to the "Quick Connect" attachment on the evap canister? They are not quick disconnect for sure! I've managed to get one of the small ones off, but the others don't seem to want to budge no matter how or where I squeeze per the instructions in the Haynes manual.

My son got two of the three off last weekend before the 3rd one broke! He's not with me today & I really don't want to replace the evap canister again.

Thanks in advance- Jeff

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Two small screwdrivers to gently pry the ears (see pic with arrows) outward. When the connector is pushed on, they slide over a lip on the canister port and prevent the connector from pulling off. It helps to push the connector "on" to take the pressure off the ears while you stick the screwdrivers in from the side.

th-3481689664.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972