01 Tahoe tune incoming, what (cold) air filter and exhaust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My coil cabels are worn out so I"m ordering a set from rockauto.com . I can get from the same seller this ACDELCO air filter: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1022704&cc=1371620&jsn=6499 Is that comparable to the AEM? Since it will much more affordable since I already have to order from rockauto.

It's just a stock air filter. It's "sufficient" as far as filters go, but there may be other stock replacements that are just as good but cheaper. Maybe Fram or Purolator. Stay away from the regular/basic orange Fram oil filters, though.

The AEM is a "performance/high-flow" filter. I don't know what it CFM it flows compared to the stock filter, but I do know it is an efficient air filter.

For your build, you're fine with a stock filter- the ACDelco or comparable aftermarket.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really making it ******* myself, like the drop in filter will give met 5 hp and 10 nm... xD Because I really want the Airaid, this just seems the best deal: https://www.airaid.com/chevrolet/tahoe/5.3l-v8-gas/2005/ Then let it fly over when my cousin can... :)

EDIT: Or is this a different MIT then the e-fan 200-919?

Totally unnecessary. Those "heat shields" aren't nearly as efficient as the stock setup that has the filter completely enclosed in a box. All you need is the "Modular Intake Tube". I agree with Lucas- get a dry filter if you get aftermarket. Otherwise, stay with a stock air filter in the stock filter box and just install the MIT whenever you get it.

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally unnecessary. Those "heat shields" aren't nearly as efficient as the stock setup that has the filter completely enclosed in a box. All you need is the "Modular Intake Tube". I agree with Lucas- get a dry filter if you get aftermarket. Otherwise, stay with a stock air filter in the stock filter box and just install the MIT whenever you get it.
Thanks for your reply. I quoted the wrong product: https://blackbearperformance.3dcart...ckSUV-Dry-Filter-and-Tube--201-719_p_401.html THis is the MIT and a dry air filter from Airaid.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I quoted the wrong product: https://blackbearperformance.3dcart...ckSUV-Dry-Filter-and-Tube--201-719_p_401.html THis is the MIT and a dry air filter from Airaid.

That's pretty much what I have. I don't know what filter that is, though. I know Airaid has their Synthamax, but is it their own or is it a re-box from another manufacturer? Could be Airaid, could be K&N, could be AEM, could be Spectre... who knows? I bought my filter and MIT separately as I found deals. Unless you can verify the brand and/or quality of the filter (which is the most important part), I'd buy the MIT itself and get a known good filter separately. It'd be about the same total cost, if not less. Look for the stuff in the US and have your cousin bring it all over. My OPINION based on MY experience is that the AEM DryFlow is superior to its K&N competitor. I can't say that Spectre is on either of their levels. I have no personal experience with Airaid filters.

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I have. I don't know what filter that is, though. I know Airaid has their Synthamax, but is it their own or is it a re-box from another manufacturer? Could be Airaid, could be K&N, could be AEM, could be Spectre... who knows? I bought my filter and MIT separately as I found deals. Unless you can verify the brand and/or quality of the filter (which is the most important part), I'd buy the MIT itself and get a known good filter separately. It'd be about the same total cost, if not less. Look for the stuff in the US and have your cousin bring it all over. My OPINION based on MY experience is that the AEM DryFlow is superior to its K&N competitor. I can't say that Spectre is on either of their levels. I have no personal experience with Airaid filters.
I've done some research now in drop-in-filters. And science says; 98% of airflow in a dry filter and 99% on a oiled drop in filter. The ups and downs. The dry filter needs more maintenance like blowing out with a compressor often (which is not a problem for me since I've a compressor and don't mind doing such things). The oiled filter can do way longer with no maintenance, the only thing they sad about that, in theory, the oil from the filter could come in de MIT, messing with the airflow sensor. Also, living in a sandy environment or in a clean area can make one better then the other. So I don't want to worry about the filter to much anymore. It will be a dry one, and price and availability will also matter in my case. And since Airaid is a good manufacturer who is testing their stuff, and BBP is selling it, it should be a good filter too... But the MIT will make the difference and just keeping the OEM filter box and make sure it's sealed.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done some research now in drop-in-filters. And science says; 98% of airflow in a dry filter and 99% on a oiled drop in filter. The ups and downs. The dry filter needs more maintenance like blowing out with a compressor often (which is not a problem for me since I've a compressor and don't mind doing such things). The oiled filter can do way longer with no maintenance, the only thing they sad about that, in theory, the oil from the filter could come in de MIT, messing with the airflow sensor. Also, living in a sandy environment or in a clean area can make one better then the other. So I don't want to worry about the filter to much anymore. It will be a dry one, and price and availability will also matter in my case. And since Airaid is a good manufacturer who is testing their stuff, and BBP is selling it, it should be a good filter too... But the MIT will make the difference and just keeping the OEM filter box and make sure it's sealed.

I've taken my filter out twice in 50,000+ miles. Once was around 20K after installing it and it looked great. I wiped the inside of the MIT and it was spotless. There was nothing on the paper towel and I couldn't even see a smear where I wiped it with my finger. I blew out the filter with the compressor and put it back in without a second thought. The air box wasn't opened up again until about 30K miles later when I disassembled it all while pulling the engine out. It was equally as clean. I don't live in a dusty environment, but the general pollution and other contaminants in the air are surely smaller than sand particles. You'll be fine with your dry filter.

diLucca

Reaction score
You wont see much diff, maybe more intake sound.

I run reusable due to shipping cost, 11eur WIX filter cost me with shipping and duties 42eur.
So I bought locally oiled K&N for 56eur. I replace air filter every second oil change(once per 1,5 year)

Running it for 6+ year and zero problems with oiled MAF.

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You wont see much diff, maybe more intake sound.

I run reusable due to shipping cost, 11eur WIX filter cost me with shipping and duties 42eur.
So I bought locally oiled K&N for 56eur. I replace air filter every second oil change(once per 1,5 year)

Running it for 6+ year and zero problems with oiled MAF.
Yes the filter is also just preference, don't gonna worry about that anymore. For me it's prolly cheaper to take a K&N since that brand is big in Europe, then letting a AEM dry flow filter coming from the US.

Well in theory the MAF could die if you over-oil the filter when cleaning. But that are rare cases. If you live in a sandy area it's for example better to take a dry one since that's easier to clean after a sandy ride in comparison to oiled filter, where the sand could possibly stick to the oil and so the air flow will reduce and cleaning will be more time consuming.

Anyway, I will see what I end up with, the main thing is, keep original box, Airaid MIT and a proper drop in filter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan