01 Tahoe key fobs won’t program!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Tahoe88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What does that symbol mean? Everything I'm finding is saying that way. I even found a ac-delco manual and it said that way. What kind of key fobs are they bud?
Hah sorry it’s just an iphone emoji but I guess they don’t show up here

I’m fully aware of the correct process and I’ve tried it a million times. That’s where my problem lies and the point of the whole thread

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I have been through a similar issue (never resolved as I traded the truck.)
You can try cleaning the contacts in the remotes and adding a bit of padding to make sure the battery makes good contact. Your issue could be a flaky module or bad receiver. You will need a scan tool to look further.

My issue was with an 03 suburban that would remote lock fine but not always unlock. Programming fobs was not possible. I had what I had and that was after a dealership visit. Decided it needed an RKE module and installed a dorman one that never worked. Was going to try a new GM part but never got to it.

TeleTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just recently bought two new key fobs for my 2004 Tahoe and when I tried to program them, it would not work either. My lock/unlock button worked on the drivers side panel but sometimes the unlock function was intermittent. I ended up replacing the whole module with a new one which fixed the intermittent problem. After that, I was able to program the key fobs with no issues. I have seen a youtube video where a guy took his power window module apart and cleaned all the contacts which fixed his module. Might try that first as the module is about $160 to buy. Not sure if this is your problem but it is worth checking out. Good luck!

OP
OP
T

Tahoe88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just recently bought two new key fobs for my 2004 Tahoe and when I tried to program them, it would not work either. My lock/unlock button worked on the drivers side panel but sometimes the unlock function was intermittent. I ended up replacing the whole module with a new one which fixed the intermittent problem. After that, I was able to program the key fobs with no issues. I have seen a youtube video where a guy took his power window module apart and cleaned all the contacts which fixed his module. Might try that first as the module is about $160 to buy. Not sure if this is your problem but it is worth checking out. Good luck!

Which module did you replace? The BCM? My lock/unlock buttons on the doors all function properly.

OP
OP
T

Tahoe88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have been through a similar issue (never resolved as I traded the truck.)
You can try cleaning the contacts in the remotes and adding a bit of padding to make sure the battery makes good contact. Your issue could be a flaky module or bad receiver. You will need a scan tool to look further.

My issue was with an 03 suburban that would remote lock fine but not always unlock. Programming fobs was not possible. I had what I had and that was after a dealership visit. Decided it needed an RKE module and installed a dorman one that never worked. Was going to try a new GM part but never got to it.

Yea I think I need to get my hands on a scan tool. What’s an RKE module? Remote keyless entry?

OP
OP
T

Tahoe88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so the weirdest thing happened. I had to 2 fobs sitting in the ashtray and a couple times a day I tried to program them. Last night I went to grab them and hit a button on my first fob (not the new one) and it worked!? Not sure how because it wasn’t working after I tried programming the new one. So I tried programming the new one again and it still didn’t work but my original fob (which is a replacement that came with the truck when I bought it) still works. I’m at a loss for words as to how the hell this even happened because the last time I tried it failed as usual and both remotes didn’t work. Suddenly one works again. I’d really like to have more than one fob so I guess I’ll need to try and add one if I can get my hands on a scan tool. I know not all of them have the ability to access bcm functions so are there any suggestions so which one to use or get?

Bigshawn

Reaction score
Hah sorry it’s just an iphone emoji but I guess they don’t show up here

I’m fully aware of the correct process and I’ve tried it a million times. That’s where my problem lies and the point of the whole thread
Ok gotcha sorry about that, have you tried taking off the positive battery terminal for awhile and or the fuse. That way it kind of resets things and could maybe learn your new key fob. I know with my 01 yukon seems like doing something simple like that will fix shit.

TeleTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Which module did you replace? The BCM? My lock/unlock buttons on the doors all function properly.
The module on the driver's door which contains all the switches for power windows, door locks and mirror adjustment. Not sure what it is called.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts