01 4.8 detonation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z28TWITCH

Reaction score
This is a new Tahoe in the fleet. Driving the other night, went to juice it getting on the highway and it kind of fell on its face around 5krpm and started pinging/almost rattling real bad, came off the go pedal and the check engine light starts flashing. Code was a pending P0303. I swapped that plug and wire with cylinder 1 and still got P0303. The truck is tuned with a handheld so I reverted to stock and even threw some 93 octane in the tank...still there. Fuel issue? Bad valve or spring?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a bad cat or two maybe. the clogged cat can cause a misfire, and bang around if its broken up inside.

OP
OP
Z28TWITCH

Z28TWITCH

Reaction score
Cats dont rattle or get unreasonably hot. Tried cleaning the maf with no luck. Any other ideas?

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it have a dead cylinder? Try swapping the injector or start looking at mechanical issues—compression test, leak down, etc.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just had a coil die on the o5 3500 work truck, it never showed the code for #8 that had the dead coil just a p0300 and ran like crap.

started pulling plug wires off the coils looking for the spark to jump, all sparked but 8, took 8 off and swapped it with 6, now 6 failed to spark and 8 did. so bought a new coil runs like new again.

oddly enough at the same time it tossed a coolant temp sensor code as well. p1258. it seems that code means the pcm is disabling 4 injectors, so it was really running bad like that with a misfire lol

so worth a few minutes to pull plug wires for a quick coil test. i pulled them wires off truck running, bare handed, didnt get shocked lol

OP
OP
Z28TWITCH

Z28TWITCH

Reaction score
Truck doesnt run bad at all. It has 108k on it. At idle it has a slight stumble but nothing outside of what Id call normal and no symptoms at part throttle. Compression test is where I was going this weekend because I suspect a lifter of valve spring. Guess Ill find out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevensavino