‘11 Denali - What’s up with my suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rhljs333

Rhljs333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the remaining damage. You can see the gap between the fender liner and bumper. It’s in that area where the bumper had a horizontal crease. I plan to take it in to a shop for an inspection within the next few days.

Also... I just set up an Onstar free trial and learned from the diagnostics report that the front passenger tire is low, 26 PSI. Could this be low enough to cause my problem? All other tires are 30-31 PSI.

FF312DCE-A83D-419D-BDD1-92F3AE635BAF.jpeg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you measured each fender lip's height above ground? Have you pulled on the swaybar and made sure the strut assemblies are in tight and the shock is not blown?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the remaining damage. You can see the gap between the fender liner and bumper. It’s in that area where the bumper had a horizontal crease. I plan to take it in to a shop for an inspection within the next few days.

Also... I just set up an Onstar free trial and learned from the diagnostics report that the front passenger tire is low, 26 PSI. Could this be low enough to cause my problem? All other tires are 30-31 PSI.

View attachment 213026
all your tires are low, I think the door jam even recommends 35/36, I run mine at 42
I guess if your tire was really low and you hit just the right hole/curb it could make it fatten out and grab the bumper (in reverse-maybeeeeee) otherwise it would possibly just rub going forward.

OP
OP
Rhljs333

Rhljs333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
all your tires are low, I think the door jam even recommends 35/36, I run mine at 42
I guess if your tire was really low and you hit just the right hole/curb it could make it fatten out and grab the bumper (in reverse-maybeeeeee) otherwise it would possibly just rub going forward.

The report said recommended pressure is 32 front and rear so I thought I was ok aside from the front passenger tire. They do all kinda look like they need air to me though...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The report said recommended pressure is 32 front and rear so I thought I was ok aside from the front passenger tire. They do all kinda look like they need air to me though...
well I just looked at the door label on mine I thought it said 36 but it does say 32 front, 32 rear, 35 spare (cold).
I am no expert on tires by any means at all, but every tire shop I have been too always put 36 and I have to request 42, 32 just seems low to me
my tires say 44 max goodyear eagle LS/2's I run 42 and they wear just fine, maybe the 32 psi recommendation is for ride quality....

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I just looked at the door label on mine I thought it said 36 but it does say 32 front, 32 rear, 35 spare (cold).
I am no expert on tires by any means at all, but every tire shop I have been too always put 36 and I have to request 42, 32 just seems low to me
my tires say 44 max goodyear eagle LS/2's I run 42 and they wear just fine, maybe the 32 psi recommendation is for ride quality....

My door sticker says 30 psi for P-metrics. Even 26 is not enough to make his act up like that though.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

I agree here. Mine wear like crap at 32. I'm running about 40 now.

Charles Land

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just recently picked up a 2011 Yukon Denali! Loving it so far...except for an issue with the front suspension. The front end has hit the ground on two separate occasions now, driving slowly over bumps/slight drops where I’ve driven much lower cars without a problem. Last time put a crease in the bumper cover, this time was just a light scuff underneath. It’s been pretty ridiculous...these are situations where, aside from a lowered sports car, I wouldn’t think twice about driving through...certainly not in a large suv. As far as I know the suspension is stock. Drives fine on the street/highway.

Is this a sign of a problem with the suspension? I have to admit that I don’t fully understand the suspension on the Denali. I’ve read about air and magnetic etc. but don’t really know exactly what I have. Have air suspension on my ‘93 Range Rover, but it sounds like the air is more of a supplementary system on the Denali? I took a pic of the service parts ID tag, so I can look for specific codes. Wasn’t sure if all of the Denali’s had the same setup. Hoping you guys can help me sort this out, thanks!

WE have a 2011 Denali XL. It has an air system that assists the mechanical suspension. We had to replace the compressor. It rode rough. Didn't scrape anything, but felt like it "bottomed out". And we didn't hear the telltale sound of the air compressor when we started it up. There is a command that can be made from a service monitor that would turn on the compressor momentarily- if it is working. Part is about $140 from Rock Auto. Not too tricky to replace. I think we do have a leak somewhere - the compressor seems to be running more than it used to. There are sensors on the suspension of each wheel that tell the system when it is the right height.

Charles Land

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My door sticker says 30 psi for P-metrics. Even 26 is not enough to make his act up like that though.

Our door sticker says 32 PSI also. The TPMS reads about 2 PSI low - when it says 30, it is really 32 PSI. The low pressure alarm activates when the TPMS sees less than 26 PSI. We run Michelin tires - same size as recommended on the sticker, and try to keep 32 PSI. They look like radials - slightly compressed on the ground - but that seems to be as designed. Other than an alignment issue we had fixed, tire wear seems to be normal.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WE have a 2011 Denali XL. It has an air system that assists the mechanical suspension. We had to replace the compressor. It rode rough. Didn't scrape anything, but felt like it "bottomed out". And we didn't hear the telltale sound of the air compressor when we started it up. There is a command that can be made from a service monitor that would turn on the compressor momentarily- if it is working. Part is about $140 from Rock Auto. Not too tricky to replace. I think we do have a leak somewhere - the compressor seems to be running more than it used to. There are sensors on the suspension of each wheel that tell the system when it is the right height.
the air assisted shocks are only on the rear and are used to help level the vehicle when towing, although it would probably affect ride quality if they were leaking or the pump was bad it would likely have no detrimental affect on the front suspension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442

Latest posts