‘11 Denali - What’s up with my suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya at 54k they should not be even close to worn out, can you get a picture of the strut/shock with the wheel turned out?
presuming they took a dump, you can get oem shocks from rock auto for about $150 each and then you would just need to have the strut springs compressed to replace them
dealer price is about $800 for a complete strut, $450 for just the shock.

OP
OP
Rhljs333

Rhljs333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Id like to get a video of this bottoming out, it would have to compress the springs about 4 inches. Even with blown struts this would be difficult.

It’s not exactly something I want to do on purpose...

It’s happened with the front end on a slight downward angle. When it hit so hard that the bumper was damaged, I was driving off the edge of a paved driveway into a gravel parking space. It was maybe a 1.5-2” drop. It bottomed out on the passenger side, which was the first wheel over the edge. I was moving slowly. The second time was in my parents driveway. Similar slight drop from a paved section, but probably closer to 1”. The rear end was a bit higher though, so more of a downward angle toward the front.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not exactly something I want to do on purpose...

It’s happened with the front end on a slight downward angle. When it hit so hard that the bumper was damaged, I was driving off the edge of a paved driveway into a gravel parking space. It was maybe a 1.5-2” drop. It bottomed out on the passenger side, which was the first wheel over the edge. I was moving slowly. The second time was in my parents driveway. Similar slight drop from a paved section, but probably closer to 1”. The rear end was a bit higher though, so more of a downward angle toward the front.
Still shouldn't happen I drive mine over curbs and sidewalks all the time and as long as I have ground clearance nothing happens, because I am impatient I do things most people are scared to death of all the time, lol

OP
OP
Rhljs333

Rhljs333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ya at 54k they should not be even close to worn out, can you get a picture of the strut/shock with the wheel turned out?
presuming they took a dump, you can get oem shocks from rock auto for about $150 each and then you would just need to have the strut springs compressed to replace them
dealer price is about $800 for a complete strut, $450 for just the shock.

Here are some pics... Drivers side looking from the front, passenger side looking from the rear.

A10066D2-CF04-46F8-911A-08A764C3FC04.jpeg FE01D507-430E-4F0E-BB30-09E606FD8444.jpeg

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I am perplexed by this. I couldn't get the front of mine to hit the ground if I tried (ok, maybe if I REALLY tried lol). What happens if you jump on the bumper a bit? Is it springy, bouncy, squeaky? Does it rebound softly?

Maybe a video? I know you said you don't want to do it on purpose. I just can't seem to imagine bottoming on a 1-2" bump. Don't you hit little bumps like that driving down every road in America?

How are your jounce stops looking?

OP
OP
Rhljs333

Rhljs333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Even if I wanted to take a video I’m not sure I could recreate it. I go over speed bumps with no issue...I don’t get it.

The damage was to the passenger side end of the bumper cover (creased about half way up) and the fender liner (bent and all the forward clips popped out). Also a screw for the air dam popped out of place. I was able to take a blow dryer to the bumper cover and smooth out the crease (thanks YouTube!). After reassembling everything the only noticeable damage is that the fender liner doesn’t sit perfectly flush with the bumper, it’s barely noticeable.

Could this possibly be from the tire hitting the fender? I assumed they were stock size, but I don’t know that.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think your bumper is contacting the ground. Your tires look a bit "balloon-ey" in the pic you posted. Are they 275/55-R20?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my advice would be to go to any shop that offers a front end inspection for free or almost free, some will do it just to get customers in the door with hopes of getting work done or get a future customer. unless you have a jack then maybe jack up the front end and take a good hard look at everything wheel hubs, steering, etc. but from what you have pictured I don't see anything unusual at all looks just like mine. I did replace my front shocks at about 85k because one had slipped off the bottom mount and was cockeyed and they advise to do both at the same time, I also upgraded my swaybars to Hellwigs, but even before that there was no problems other than the one shock being janky. The shocks on these trucks typically start taking a dump around 100k but if your only at 54k you should still have plenty of life in them.
I am also running 275/55r 20's

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons