‘11 Denali - What’s up with my suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rhljs333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just recently picked up a 2011 Yukon Denali! Loving it so far...except for an issue with the front suspension. The front end has hit the ground on two separate occasions now, driving slowly over bumps/slight drops where I’ve driven much lower cars without a problem. Last time put a crease in the bumper cover, this time was just a light scuff underneath. It’s been pretty ridiculous...these are situations where, aside from a lowered sports car, I wouldn’t think twice about driving through...certainly not in a large suv. As far as I know the suspension is stock. Drives fine on the street/highway.

Is this a sign of a problem with the suspension? I have to admit that I don’t fully understand the suspension on the Denali. I’ve read about air and magnetic etc. but don’t really know exactly what I have. Have air suspension on my ‘93 Range Rover, but it sounds like the air is more of a supplementary system on the Denali? I took a pic of the service parts ID tag, so I can look for specific codes. Wasn’t sure if all of the Denali’s had the same setup. Hoping you guys can help me sort this out, thanks!

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the front is bottoming out & the air dam scraping then that means one or both of these things...

- It's been lowered
- The front struts are completely shot and fully compressing.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just recently picked up a 2011 Yukon Denali! Loving it so far...except for an issue with the front suspension. The front end has hit the ground on two separate occasions now, driving slowly over bumps/slight drops where I’ve driven much lower cars without a problem. Last time put a crease in the bumper cover, this time was just a light scuff underneath. It’s been pretty ridiculous...these are situations where, aside from a lowered sports car, I wouldn’t think twice about driving through...certainly not in a large suv. As far as I know the suspension is stock. Drives fine on the street/highway.

Is this a sign of a problem with the suspension? I have to admit that I don’t fully understand the suspension on the Denali. I’ve read about air and magnetic etc. but don’t really know exactly what I have. Have air suspension on my ‘93 Range Rover, but it sounds like the air is more of a supplementary system on the Denali? I took a pic of the service parts ID tag, so I can look for specific codes. Wasn’t sure if all of the Denali’s had the same setup. Hoping you guys can help me sort this out, thanks!

Got a pic of her from the side Jeremy? Do you have RPO codes Z55 and G69?

OP
OP
Rhljs333

Rhljs333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It has both Z55 and G69. I’ll go take a pic shortly. Pretty sure it hasn’t been lowered.

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ride height looks normal, so probably just severely worn out struts. How many miles?

Your options for the front are:

OEM - Pros (retains all features & factory ride) Cons (more expensive)

Non-OEM - Pros (cheaper, potentially better ride) Cons (lose the adaptive ride)

Personally I just bypassed the adaptive ride with resistors and put a set of KYB's on the front of my Denali. Rides great, not super expensive, and reversible if for some reason I ever wanted to go back to 100% OEM.

OP
OP
Rhljs333

Rhljs333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
53k miles. I figured struts might be the issue, but would’ve expected the front end to be a bit bouncy. Also wasn’t sure if it could be electric/related to a problem with the adaptive system rather than mechanical.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my front struts were bad on my 09 Tahoe LTZ with Z55 and G69, it rode extremely rough in the front and never bottomed out. It kinda flung/ricochet over bumps. There should be bump stops in the strut to prevent what you are describing. Are there any warning lights or messages?

OP
OP
Rhljs333

Rhljs333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ride seems fine. I don’t know that it’s perfect since I don’t have anything to compare it to, but I definitely wouldn’t call it extremely rough.

No lights or warning messages.

97audia4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id like to get a video of this bottoming out, it would have to compress the springs about 4 inches. Even with blown struts this would be difficult.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14