‘09 Suburban Gauge Cluster Stuck Illuminating During Daytime

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ASChong

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Recently purchased a low mileage ‘09 Suburban with less than 39,000 miles but recently it developed an issue after a stereo install with the instrument gauge cluster illuminating during daytime. They automatically come on when the key is put into ignition and cannot be turned off manually. At night they automatically illuminate with the headlights as expected but they can be shut off using the headlight dial like normal. I think that somehow the lights are coming on during the day because something has reversed so the light sensor tells the gauges to illuminate when it’s lght out and will do so again at night but will allow for the lights to be manually turned off.

Does anyone have any solutions or suggestions for resolving this issue?

Thank you!

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which wiring harness did you get, and what factory stereo/options did you have?

I'm not CERTAIN yet, as it's only been in a few days, but I might have similar symptoms. Mine was a non-nav, bose unit, and I used the PAC OS-5 harness unit. My guess would be that there is some sort of failure on the illumination circuit, and you could just cut that wire and it might act normal - but you wouldnt have auto illumination on the head unit. I'll be watching mine closely now that this has been mentioned.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which wiring harness did you get, and what factory stereo/options did you have?

I'm not CERTAIN yet, as it's only been in a few days, but I might have similar symptoms. Mine was a non-nav, bose unit, and I used the PAC OS-5 harness unit. My guess would be that there is some sort of failure on the illumination circuit, and you could just cut that wire and it might act normal - but you wouldnt have auto illumination on the head unit. I'll be watching mine closely now that this has been mentioned.
I’m not sure who you’re referring to but mine did this with the stock radio setup.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
In 2009 or 2010 this should have Happened with all clusters. They all were illuminated during the day.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 2009 or 2010 this should have Happened with all clusters. They all were illuminated during the day.
Really? When my lights come on via the sensor, I can then turn them and the dash lights off with the light switch though. Seems odd.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
If memory serves they illuminate at all times starting in 2009 for better visibility. On all the time, and when you turn lights off, should turn off all dash lights including cluster.

Awfiretto

Reaction score
I have an 07 and always run my fog lights to make them illuminate, otherwise they are off until headlights are on... with sunglasses on they are really hard to see without illumination. They must of fixed that, along with the other basic lackluster things on the 07/08s. ... like the 4 speed transmission, adding cooled seats as an option, and upgraded onstage/Bluetooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos