Z71 different from LT shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Holgrinator

Reaction score
Ive got a 2004 yukon and i just pulled the tag off the rear spring... part number on the spring was YJC 15182555. I'm trying to see if the previous owner already replaced the springs with Z71 springs. Anyone know if that part number correlates to the base model or the Z71.

That being said, are the Z71 shocks any different than in the base model length wise. I want to put on z71 springs and the longer shocks without a spacer and drive around so they break in before I decide on what size spacer to get. Im trying to figure out if I should put in the Z71 springs I ordered and LEAVE THE STOCK shocks until I get a coil spacer, or do the coils AND longer Bilstein shocks... then drive a few hundred miles, so the springs settle and then throw in the spacer.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

TahoeFL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wish you posted a week ago- I had mine sitting in the garage for a week or 2 before I threw them away. I will say when I ordered the Moog "z-71 spring", I placed them side by side to my original spring, and it was a good 2" taller, and slightly narrower (the tightness of the coil).

I just did coils first, and have about 200 miles on them so far. I ordered 5100's and front 1-3" keys for the front, yesterday. I will probably be riding on 265/75-17's. I can give you some measurements when I get everything leveled out in a week or so.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't get much better of an answer than someone who's going through the exact process. Pretty much perfect timing, awesome!

What part of FLA @TahoeFL ?

TahoeFL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Central Florida/Winter Haven.

I was thinking 265's because I'll be driving a lot for my job and currently have them. trying not to kill my MPG totally.

I am still considering 285's, I want to see how much room I have once I level it out and then I'll get tires.

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I was thinking 265's because I'll be driving a lot for my job and currently have them. trying not to kill my MPG totally.

I am still considering 285's, I want to see how much room I have once I level it out and then I'll get tires.
Try 275s that's what I have
IMG_1325.JPG

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score

10.4 I'm a Jax Bch native living in Gainesville

If you're worried about going bigger but losing mpg's, all ya have to do is regear to make up for it.

I'm rollin 37's runnin 5.13's and I honestly don't think I've had better gas mileage.

OP
OP
H

Holgrinator

Reaction score
Well, I did the springs, shocks, and keys all at once. Can't believe the difference it made. My yukon only has 55,000 on it but there was bad surface rust holding the old keys to the bars. The lrecious owner lived in Logan Utah, lots of snow, high elevation, long winters and utah salts their roads. Breaking them loose was a pain but everything else went pretty smooth. My tiny stock 265/70R16 Michelins still have some good life left so we'll see how long I can put up with their goofy look. I hate to toss good tires. But I may try and sell them. We'll see.

20170618_204005.jpg

smcnair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I did the springs, shocks, and keys all at once. Can't believe the difference it made. My yukon only has 55,000 on it but there was bad surface rust holding the old keys to the bars. The lrecious owner lived in Logan Utah, lots of snow, high elevation, long winters and utah salts their roads. Breaking them loose was a pain but everything else went pretty smooth. My tiny stock 265/70R16 Michelins still have some good life left so we'll see how long I can put up with their goofy look. I hate to toss good tires. But I may try and sell them. We'll see.

View attachment 84923

I just put up a post about this today. Can you give me a little more info on the shocks and springs and anything you had to change to get it all installed?

OP
OP
H

Holgrinator

Reaction score
I just put up a post about this today. Can you give me a little more info on the shocks and springs and anything you had to change to get it all installed?

Bought all my parts on amazon. Nothing had to be changed but I did have to drill holes. To put the bump stops under the bounce jumpers on front. Having someone help and some air tools helped immensely. Air tools and a cheater bar on a ratchet helped. Rented a spring compressor and a torsion bar unloading tool from AutoZone. They give you your money back when you return the tools so they end up being free to rent. I'm waiting to see of the rear settles any to see if I'll need a spacer in the rear too.

20170629_190059.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent