Z-71 coils in rear of Denali XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtydenali07

Reaction score
Posted this in wrong forum a few days ago…

So I bought the wife a 2007 Yukon Denali XL last year. I didn't know anything about the suspension, and as it turns out the rear air shocks/compressor doesn't work. I like the soft cushy ride compared to my 2001 Excursion. Problem is the Yuk sits slightly rear end down, and any, I mean any, weight in the rear makes it sag 1-2". Even without any weight in the rear, I can't see out the back window well with the rear view mirror because I'm looking at the ground not too far behind me.
So I bought a set of Z-71 rear coils and intend to install them when I have time. Questions I have are how much lift will I gain, and will it ride more harsh to where my wife has me put the stock coils back in, maybe with spacers? Also, does anyone have a pic of a Yukon Denali XL with rear Z-71 coils and stock front?

+ QuoteReply

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Yes it's been done before and gained about 1" lift in rear. All depends on how worn the rear is now. Just put them in and see what you get.

OP
OP
dirtydenali07

dirtydenali07

Reaction score
Yes it's been done before and gained about 1" lift in rear. All depends on how worn the rear is now. Just put them in and see what you get.
When the wife gets home from work I'll park it on level ground and get a side pic. I think I posted measurements before of the height of the center of wheel well to ground; IIRC it was 37" front and rear. Sounds level, but with the slight downward curve of the roof, it looks lower in the rear.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
When the wife gets home from work I'll park it on level ground and get a side pic. I think I posted measurements before of the height of the center of wheel well to ground; IIRC it was 37" front and rear. Sounds level, but with the slight downward curve of the roof, it looks lower in the rear.

The front fenders are cut higher than rear so if they both measure the same then the rear is actually lower than the front which would validate your thoughts of it looking like its sagging. Think most fronts are around 37" and rears are 38.5" stock. Do you plan to remove the entire air ride system?

OP
OP
dirtydenali07

dirtydenali07

Reaction score
The front fenders are cut higher than rear so if they both measure the same then the rear is actually lower than the front which would validate your thoughts of it looking like its sagging. Think most fronts are around 37" and rears are 38.5" stock. Do you plan to remove the entire air ride system?
I looked at a previous reply of mine from another post and saw that I had measured the height at 36.5" front and rear. And that makes sense about the front fenders. Guess I'm sagging 2" in rear. When we bought it I wondered if it was lowered due to the stance and the fact that it had dark blue LED bulbs in all of the dome lights.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
I looked at a previous reply of mine from another post and saw that I had measured the height at 36.5" front and rear. And that makes sense about the front fenders. Guess I'm sagging 2" in rear. When we bought it I wondered if it was lowered due to the stance and the fact that it had dark blue LED bulbs in all of the dome lights.

That's very possible. Post some pics of the rear springs and shocks along with ride height sensors on upper trailing arms. Either way if you ditch the entire system for better shocks and z71 springs you will be much happier. Set it up at a nice level height with some decent size tires.

OP
OP
dirtydenali07

dirtydenali07

Reaction score
That's very possible. Post some pics of the rear springs and shocks along with ride height sensors on upper trailing arms. Either way if you ditch the entire system for better shocks and z71 springs you will be much happier. Set it up at a nice level height with some decent size tires.
Wife's off today, so after work I'll get pics. It's very hard for me to get under it; I don't fit under the running board so I have to suck it in and crawl under from behind. The axle makes it a squeeze. Lol

OP
OP
dirtydenali07

dirtydenali07

Reaction score
I took a bunch of photos, but I think I have to put them on photobucket to post them. Here's what I learned: the rear springs look new compared to everything else under the truck. They have a tag that says
25783732 YWJ , which according to the web are stock rear coils for the Denali XL. Also, the rear upper and lower control arms go up at an angle from the frame to the axle. Are they supposed to be level with the ground? Also found that the right outer cv boot has a gaping hole in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne