Yukon SLT: 2005 or 2015

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

autigs3434

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Currently I drive a 2004 Yukon SLT with 250K(I would like to add that I just drove across country and back with it). I have loved my SUV ever since I purchased it in 2006 and have kept it in excellent condition. I have done my own maintenance, so I know how to fix or repair most things on it. My friend's wife drives a 2005 GMC Yukon SLT with 160k on it. I see it everyday and have always wanted to replace mine with it. They have had no issues with it, and she only drives it a few miles each day. It is almost flawless compared to mine that has cosmetic issues like paint starting to fade in places like the roof, paint chipping off, and scratches. The other day I asked him how much he would sell it to me for, just for fun, and he started out at 8,500. I did not try to negotiate at the time because I wasn't all that serious, but now I'm seriously thinking about, but I don't know if 8,500 is too much (I also want to mention that he is an insurance adjuster so I don't know if he is overpricing it). KBB has it listed at 6,600, but I guess my friend has the advantage on me since he's not trying to sell it right now. Keep in my mind they are not trying to sell it; I just made an offer to buy it.
Before thinking about the 2005 I have been really interested in buying a 2015 GMC Yukon SLT over the last few months: brand new design, all new features, much less miles, and about 35k-40k more in price. The 2015s are obviously way more advanced than the 2005 models, but I'm worried about the cost of maintenance, recalls, and all of those electrical features failing. I could save a load of money buying the 2005, but I somewhat want a change in design. What do you think, 2005 Yukon SLT 160K miles vs 2015 Yukon SLT $$$?

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not save several thousand dollars and just have yours painted? Get a different color and it will give the illusion of a different vehicle.

If it was me and I had the extra money laying around I'd get the 2015.

mmeachem

Reaction score
Why not save several thousand dollars and just have yours painted? Get a different color and it will give the illusion of a different vehicle.

If it was me and I had the extra money laying around I'd get the 2015.
I'd second that. Put some money in maintenance mods and some paint, call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Justin.

You're right your friend isn't trying to sell the 05 at that price. Waiting until something you know how to fix fails on it and bargaining with him then might be an option.

Later model trucks are setup similar and parts/maintenance is also similar so for $ it may not be worth your while yet (depending on your situation). Plan on getting into a NNBS Tahoe or Yukon myself after the price meets my demand.. The NBS trucks I currently owned are paid for, up to par on maintenance, customized and constant workhorses; each with 190k+. They do exactly what I need them to. If I want to touch up the paint someday I can but rather wait for hail or an accident. The mindset of "they're trucks, they're meant to get dirty and have a few blemishes" goes a long way in your pocketbook and self-gratification. If you want a show vehicle you dump money into and never use - you aint livin. The feeling of owning a 2015 may wear off quickly and if the thought of having an additional payment each months doesn't get to you - then do it. I'm sure it'll be good as your 04.

Jay R Lawson

Reaction score
I just got a 2005 SLT. And I love it. Had to fix a few things and she isn't a beauty queen cosmetically. Yet. But I do love her.

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got lucky with my 2000 Yukon XL SLT (I'm in Michigan, and it lived most of its life in Delaware, so very little rust for its age), it only had 134k miles on it when I got it (now I'm up to 137k), and I only paid $3000 for it. I'd still go with a 2005 over a 2015 with all the problems I've heard they have.
A lot of the mods I've done on my truck would be even easier on a 2005.
Don't forget that you can get a lot of the "bells and whistles" that you find on the newer trucks and put them on our trucks for way less than $30k.

If you want LED turn signals, it's easy (I've got them all the way around), projector headlights? You can get Denali projector reproductions for cheap, and if you want better quality, you can retrofit some good quality projectors into them for a few hundred.

Want to upgrade to power folding/turn signal mirrors? Find a set of DL3s and a programed master switch and you are done half an hour later.

SevenFortyOne

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like you need a newer vehicle right now so you have some time to shop around. You may be able to find something just as good as your friend's for less $$$. Or even use a comparable vehicle you find as a bargaining tool to get your friend to drop his price if he's willing to do so. There is something to be said for buying a vehicle you know the history on and that may be worth paying a little over book value for but I wouldn't go too much over.

I don't know your situation but even if I had the money I personally I wouldn't drop $40K on a vehicle even if it was brand new. Having the ability to do your own wrenching allows you to buy older vehicles that may require maintenance and save a ton of money you could put toward something else.

VDV18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with previous posters....if you have $40k laying around go for it. If not, money can most likely be better spent elsewhere. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT

Latest posts