Yukon Down, AWD delete, headers, converter etc...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im excited to see how it does, I really like the 4600s in the rear so Im anticipating I will like them up front also. Though it should be noted this is a family and camaro hauler, and I definitely dont drive aggressive as far as cornering etc.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im excited to see how it does, I really like the 4600s in the rear so Im anticipating I will like them up front also. Though it should be noted this is a family and camaro hauler, and I definitely dont drive aggressive as far as cornering etc.

Oh I am sure you will notice an improvement. I sure did on my denali with similar mileage. The OEM front active shocks seemed ok, but still definitely an improved ride. My rigs see similar usage (way less towing, but its my only "truck" so I like to have to option) and safety and comfort is the goal here as well.

Smoke Em All

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey bud have them wheels come off yet and hurt anyone? Hope your not towing when it happens! Why do I get the feeling we will never know even if they do come apart:D
I love your build but how can someone with that much know-how overlook something so critical. Of course the shaft tightens down on the same piece of metal in the hub. Otherwise we would have some friction, no? The problem lies when the wheel bearing decides to fail there is nothing stopping the wheel from separating from the vehicle. A stub shaft will not let that happen. Just do it.

Ok so I just want to post this here so it is clear why it is a terrible idea to run a 4wd hub on a 2wd truck or in my case no cv axles. I should have done more research but I saw this thread and figured I'd give it a shot. Bad idea! At about 70mph the driver hub broke taking wheel, brakes, and all with it. Fortunately no one including my self was hurt. The truck was repairable but cost money I had not planned to spend.
Again I just want to say DO NOT run the 4wd hub without an axle. e5b8a7e921b29909dfc242b76f1184de.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 20160515_152020_zpsdn33jrro.jpg
    20160515_152020_zpsdn33jrro.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20160515_151924_zpsibf7j3xx.jpg
    20160515_151924_zpsibf7j3xx.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. What hub EXACTLY was on your truck. I will not retract my advice/opinion that my particular Timken (bought last year) hub is fine because (listen carefully) the axle backside flange AND where it tightens in the front with the nut is connected to a solid block of metal (its the same piece), meaning it isnt clamping anything. The hub doesnt know the axle is there or it isnt. That being said, yours may be different. At this point I have thousands of miles of these hubs and I spend lots of time cruising at 90+mph, so again, just more evidence.

Smoke Em All

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. What hub EXACTLY was on your truck. I will not retract my advice/opinion that my particular Timken (bought last year) hub is fine because (listen carefully) the axle backside flange AND where it tightens in the front with the nut is connected to a solid block of metal (its the same piece), meaning it isnt clamping anything. The hub doesnt know the axle is there or it isnt. That being said, yours may be different. At this point I have thousands of miles of these hubs and I spend lots of time cruising at 90+mph, so again, just more evidence.
Honestly (listen carefully) I don't care what brand name it is! (You didn't specify in your post btw) this is bad info that could get someone hurt or killed. There is a reason why every manufacturer that makes these hubs mark there product not to use 4wd on 2wd! I'm not an engineer and I'm not going to attempt to explain why you shouldn't. With very few exceptions you being one. Every manufacturer, engineer, mechanic, and people like me who experienced first hand what happens if you do run the 4wd hub without the axle say NO NO NO! You can do what you want good luck it's a scary ass ride brother.

OP
OP

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude you need to stop. You arent too versed in hubs I can tell because you probably have no clue that 1. these hubs changed a lot over the years and models, meaning don't expect identical results from everysingle make and model truck, and 2. lots of 2wd and 4wd hubs are THE SAME PART NUMBER, meaning the 2wd hubs are splined. Just because you F-ed up doesn't mean jack. Provide some factual info on what happened (model number, up-close pics of the failure etc) for GTFO of my thread, bc all you're doing is causing undo panic for NOTHING.

OP
OP

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Edited, thanks for providing the pic of their instructions

Last edited:

Smoke Em All

Full Access Member
Reaction score
414ac68cc8ef2eaeed822457ea85efd3.jpg

Cool hope it works out for you! The pic shows the details on the 4wd hub on the Timken web site. Notice it says for 4x4/AWD applications only. Also just spoke to one of their reps on the phone and they said that under no circumstances would they ever say otherwise. Again good luck.

OP
OP

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Can you provide up close pics of the hub? Did you replace this hub or was it original? How did you go about not having an axle, did you actually remove it? Im wondering this because I did quite a bit of research at the time and lots of results were 50/50, Ive seen others fail too, however they seem to be original Timkens and not newly replaced ones. It should be noted I made multiple attempts to contact timken without success, and I dont believe reaching an actual engineer there is a possibility. I take what a phone rep tells me with a grain of salt, as they are there to protect liability, not have actual engineering data on a specific product when that company literally makes thousands of bearings. And that is the same part number I have on my truck. Im swapping some suspension tomorrow and can show pictures of how and why the axle doesnt hold anything together, and Id be happy to do that. Thinking now, I could see, with a complete and total bearing failure, the axle could stop the assembly from falling apart like yours did. But my argument is it doesnt hold it together during normal operation. Which would explain our different experiences with the same part.

Smoke Em All

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not in anyway arguing that the axle hold anything together. I also don't think that's the case. The research I have done suggest that the axle give it more solidity or rigidity as the solid shaft on the 2wd version would. Like I said I'm not an engineer but if I have to find one that will give me a real answer I will if it saves just one person the stress of what happened to me or even more a life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts