Yukon Down, AWD delete, headers, converter etc...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks bud, just trying to make this old girl tow a little better.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me and I had the money, I would've taken that as an opportunity to install a better LSD. Just about anything is better than the OEM Gov-Bomb. I blew mine up in my S10 at 3x,*** miles with just ~60 more horses over stock. I replaced it with a low-mile Torsen from an '01 SS.

OP
OP

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me and I had the money, I would've taken that as an opportunity to install a better LSD. Just about anything is better than the OEM Gov-Bomb. I blew mine up in my S10 at 3x,*** miles with just ~60 more horses over stock. I replaced it with a low-mile Torsen from an '01 SS.

Basically it was looking like maybe $150-200 for a use gov-lock or $400 for a new posi of my choosing. Honestly, this is a street truck, and heavy, so "needing" the traction didnt really justify spending the money. I'd be surprised if it could spin a tire even now.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically it was looking like maybe $150-200 for a use gov-lock or $400 for a new posi of my choosing. Honestly, this is a street truck, and heavy, so "needing" the traction didnt really justify spending the money. I'd be surprised if it could spin a tire even now.

That's sensible. From my experiences with it, I despise even the idea of how the Gov-Bomb operates. It failed way too easily in my S10 and I've had it act up in my Tahoe. At least it'll never be a concern for your ride. Although, since you're now no longer AWD, you may need some sort of LSD. There's only one way to find out!

OP
OP

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just waiting to get some miles on these gears. I generally dont drive this truck for daily driver duties but im going to for a while to accumulate some miles.

OP
OP

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got to tow with the new bags and gears, much much better. It controlled the trailer well and accelerated with ease. Only got two passes for the night....

20170401_150950_zpsuw4lxn4k.jpg

I noticed over some swooping type bumps that the front had a little less control then I liked. The good news is I have had new parts on the shelf waiting for a while. I figured, well, time to wipe the dust off them and get them installed.

20170402_094724_zps0d3wulxg.jpg

Part numbers for upper balljoints, lower balljoints, outer tie rods, and shocks.

20170402_094428_zpsjx9hh0sq.jpg

Right now Im lowered on the stock keys, and they are basically at the lowest setting. The height is ok but I hate that there is no more adjustment, I wouldnt have minded another 1/2 lower. So I bought these 2" drop spindles a while back. The idea is to install them, then be able to raise the keys back up so I have some room to fine tune.

20170402_103255_zpsuno0r3vm.jpg

Going for an alignment soon. At 200k miles the balljoints/tie rods were original and surprisingly had no slack in them. The shocks were still functioning within reason also. The reason for replacement is the boot recently deteriorated and started throwing grease inside the wheel. I did notice the swaybar end links had slack in them so I will be ordering them soon.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got to tow with the new bags and gears, much much better. It controlled the trailer well and accelerated with ease. Only got two passes for the night....

20170401_150950_zpsuw4lxn4k.jpg

I noticed over some swooping type bumps that the front had a little less control then I liked. The good news is I have had new parts on the shelf waiting for a while. I figured, well, time to wipe the dust off them and get them installed.

20170402_094724_zps0d3wulxg.jpg

Part numbers for upper balljoints, lower balljoints, outer tie rods, and shocks.

20170402_094428_zpsjx9hh0sq.jpg

Right now Im lowered on the stock keys, and they are basically at the lowest setting. The height is ok but I hate that there is no more adjustment, I wouldnt have minded another 1/2 lower. So I bought these 2" drop spindles a while back. The idea is to install them, then be able to raise the keys back up so I have some room to fine tune.

20170402_103255_zpsuno0r3vm.jpg

Going for an alignment soon. At 200k miles the balljoints/tie rods were original and surprisingly had no slack in them. The shocks were still functioning within reason also. The reason for replacement is the boot recently deteriorated and started throwing grease inside the wheel. I did notice the swaybar end links had slack in them so I will be ordering them soon.

This is gonna be good. Ill bet the dropped spindles make that thing ride much better when you decrank it.

Nice slip too!

You really don't think you can spin one tire with that 6.0?

OP
OP

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is gonna be good. Ill bet the dropped spindles make that thing ride much better when you decrank it.

Nice slip too!

You really don't think you can spin one tire with that 6.0?

It really didnt ride bad with the keys lowered, I had no complaints. Lately the front has been slightly floaty (not bad) and I associate that with shocks that have 200k on them. It is currently running a 305 wide tire and this truck is definitely heavy. Yeah it would scratch it before, now I dunno, I havent launched it since I only have about 300 miles on the 4.30 gears I been trying to take it easy. Maybe it will burn it down the road who knows.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really didnt ride bad with the keys lowered, I had no complaints. Lately the front has been slightly floaty (not bad) and I associate that with shocks that have 200k on them. It is currently running a 305 wide tire and this truck is definitely heavy. Yeah it would scratch it before, now I dunno, I havent launched it since I only have about 300 miles on the 4.30 gears I been trying to take it easy. Maybe it will burn it down the road who knows.

Yeah my denali rode fine decranked ~1.5" but my escalade definitely rides better at stock height in comparison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos