Yukon Denali windshield replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

October

Reaction score
Just got my Yukon Denali and a pebble chipped the windshield! Epoxy repair did not work, so now considering replacing the windshield. Thoughts....
1. Anyone have experience having their windshield replaced?
2. I am paranoid they will take apart and assemble the rearview mirror module and break plastic tabs on the cover etc. Anyone have experience on how to do this properly?
3. Do you need to remove the vinyl section below the windshield and take apart the wiper arms?
4. Mine has the HUD, so I would think the replacement would be an OEM part.
Thanks.

OP
OP
O

October

Reaction score
So no one on this forum ever had their 2015 Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon windshield replaced???

imnohero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not replaced the windshield on my Yukon but I may be able to ease your mind. In South Carolina, windshield repair/replacement is required by the insurance companies so if you catch a rock, they have to replace without paying a deductible. I have done it several times over the years with several kinds of cars (mostly high end Mercedes and BMW).

My 2014 Ranger Rover recently caught a rock within the first 10K miles so I had the windshield replaced. I had it done by a reputable window company and took it to their shop to make sure it was done in the best environment possible (as opposed to the parking lot of my office). The windshield on the Rover was even heated and had all kinds of gadgets, etc. attached to it. I would suggest making sure to test your rain sensor once the work is done before signing off on the work. Just turn on your auto wipers and spray some water on the windshield near the sensor. No problems at all.

Last edited:

kcb14214

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took a rock in south carolna on way to Florida Saturday. Need a new windshield and nervous as well.

OP
OP
O

October

Reaction score
Reason for my concern is the lack of regulation/certification for these installers. I had my BMW 750 windshield replaced by Safelite where they malpositioned the glass, broke a couple of clips that held the side/roof trim piece (without replacing and just installed back without all the clips), and put too much urethane caulk on the lower edge of the glass. The trim piece bowed and caused an annoying whistle at certain speeds on the highway.
Another concern is scratching the paint that is at the perimeter below the glass when they take out the glass. This is not visible when the new windshield is put on and is the part not covered by the urethane adhesive. Over time it can cause corrosion of the metal.
I guess I'll have to take time off and watch the job being done, hoping I get someone good.

imnohero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Binswinger Glass and have never had an issue. I've had maybe three windshields replaced over the last few years. They were recommended originally by my BMW dealer for my M6. When I went to get the Range done, the Land Rover dealer also suggested Binswinger. I don't know if you have them in your area or not. Again, since it's no cost to me I get it done when I might not have otherwise. I think any glass company should be liable for any damage they cause either way. I would just get the best company you can find... I guess that goes without saying. I wouldn't use Safelite because of that stupid jingle they use in their commercials.

kasperfh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had my windshield replaced last year by a local shop in Arkansas without issue. A rock chipped me when I was driving back from the beach. The sucker ran halfway across the windshield before I even got home. I had to wait about a month for the windshield repair shop to get an OEM windshield since the 2015 Denali was new at the time. The non-OEM did not have tint at top and I was told rain sense might not work either. I can't confirm this, though. Anyway, once the windshield came in they replaced it without issue. Rearview mirror system looks and functions fine.

Rush

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a nice chip which instantly spread to a 7" inch crack today--Safelite now trying to locate the part with an ETA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckeyeglazier