XM Radio losing signal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of possibilities for losing signal in the same area: local sources of radio frequency power interfering with the satellite signal. Satellite power is very weak, so XM also uses repeaters on the ground. So if a harmonic of a local radio/radar signal falls into the freq. range of the satellite or it's many repeaters, that stronger signal may blank out the XM signal. Airplanes/airports/fire/police/TV towers are all possible sources of strong RF signals. An example in your house of this is a microwave oven interfering with your router wifi.

Another more likely issue may be a blank spot in the broadcast signal. RF is easily reflected in ways that can cancel out transmissions. If a signal bounces off a building some distance away and then arrives at your location 180 degrees out of time with the direct signal, the two will cancel out. So signal strength is not at all uniform.
Larry

OP
OP

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of possibilities for losing signal in the same area: local sources of radio frequency power interfering with the satellite signal. Satellite power is very weak, so XM also uses repeaters on the ground. So if a harmonic of a local radio/radar signal falls into the freq. range of the satellite or it's many repeaters, that stronger signal may blank out the XM signal. Airplanes/airports/fire/police/TV towers are all possible sources of strong RF signals. An example in your house of this is a microwave oven interfering with your router wifi.

Another more likely issue may be a blank spot in the broadcast signal. RF is easily reflected in ways that can cancel out transmissions. If a signal bounces off a building some distance away and then arrives at your location 180 degrees out of time with the direct signal, the two will cancel out. So signal strength is not at all uniform.
Larry
That’s great info. Very informative. Thanks!

The area downtown where I have the most frequent signal loss starts right in front of a brand new multi-story police headquarters. As you were saying...

Kelsda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What XM antenna booster do y'all recommend?
I don’t know what brand I bought buried in dash but I think I spent around 15.00 goes between radio and antenna one male one female like radio and antenna ends it has improved