XM Radio losing signal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2005 Tahoe Z-71 with OEM Nav system. Satellite radio drops the signal frequently, the recovers it, usually for less than a minute at a time. I’m guessing it’s possibly a loose antenna wire. Any thoughts?

This has the full console with the integrated Bose subwoofer. How do I access the back of the radio to check the connections?

Kelsda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call xm they will assist you sometimes switch to channel 1 it is suppose to reset signal I’ve had xm a long time and I think there are to many cell towers now over the years its getting worse you can also buy an antenna booster easy hook up

OP
OP

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call xm they will assist you sometimes switch to channel 1 it is suppose to reset signal I’ve had xm a long time and I think there are to many cell towers now over the years its getting worse you can also buy an antenna booster easy hook up

Thanks. I need to call them anyway as it's time to renew my subscription.

OP
OP

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had XM send the update signal but it's still losing the signal. I'm back to trying to access the rear of the NAV radio to check the antenna wire. How do I get to the back of the unit? Anything else that I should check? Is there a way to test the satellite antenna?

mwilson62000

Supporting Member
Reaction score
C463957F-A3CE-4DA3-AD59-420B0AD7E8E5.jpeg I know with my 03, the OEM XM tuner is behind the glovebox. The roof XM antenna goes to that, not the radio. May want to check the antenna connection on the tuner.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem a few months back and cancelled my XM subscription as a result. I called XM and after resending the signal, they suggested I take my radio to the dealer for inspection and possible replacement. I wonder if the receiving board in the XM module is failing after 12 years. I had the same thing happen with a HAM radio, I guess it is possible that the same has occurred with my truck's XM receiver. I didn't want to spend the money on it, so I haven't chased it down.

Please let us know what you find out.

OP
OP

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No chance yet to check out my XM receiver. When I called XM, they renewed my XM contract for 1 year for only $4.99/month. I had to ask for the discount.

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Common causes of electronic failure are capacitors failing. The quality of capacitors used in modern devices has gotten steadily worse (much like AA batteries). A power supply will start making less juice, volume gets weak.

Another common problem is the type of solder that is used complies with Federal regulations if the boards are made in the USA, and the same method of soldering the boards is universal all over the world-it is called surface mount technology (SMT for short). It is a crappy way to attach devices to circuit boards using a conveyor belt and an oven. No more "wave solder machines" with a pool of molten solder for the board that has "through-hole mounted parts" to float through.

So bounce that board down the road for many miles and years and something will break loose from metal fatigue.
Larry

OP
OP

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Common causes of electronic failure are capacitors failing. The quality of capacitors used in modern devices has gotten steadily worse (much like AA batteries). A power supply will start making less juice, volume gets weak.

Another common problem is the type of solder that is used complies with Federal regulations if the boards are made in the USA, and the same method of soldering the boards is universal all over the world-it is called surface mount technology (SMT for short). It is a crappy way to attach devices to circuit boards using a conveyor belt and an oven. No more "wave solder machines" with a pool of molten solder for the board that has "through-hole mounted parts" to float through.

So bounce that board down the road for many miles and years and something will break loose from metal fatigue.
Larry
That sounds like what has happened to my dash gauges and DIC, most of which no longer have backlighting. I'll have to find the time to pull the panel and resolder broken connections.

I've noticed that the XM signal losses are occurring in the same areas of town every day. Within a couple of blocks, the signal will drop out several times but does it all over town and on the highway. And, I now receive the signal in the one and only area of 50 yards or so where I always lost the signal in the past. This is a small town, flat terrain and only a couple of buildings of 5 stories.

Could this be related to the seasonal tilt of the earth and the position of the XM satellites? In 12 years, I have never had this problem and I drive these same roads 5 days a week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins