XM Direct Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diggerdan11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Im thinking about installing XM radio in my Tahoe since mine did not come with it stock. Im going to buy the XM Direct Universal Tuner Box and I have the GM adaptor for it, and hook it up to my stock stereo. Here is a link of what im talking about: http://www.amazon.com/XMDirect-XMD1000-Satellite-Radio-Universal/dp/B0002J2IMW

Has anyone on this forum had any experience installing one of these in there Tahoe?

I have installed one in my Silverado SS and it was not a problem. I installed the box behind the glovebox and ran the antena through the 3rd brake light. Im just not sure where to run the Antena on the Tahoe. I was originally thinking i would run it through the 3rd brake ligt but Im afraid that the cord will not be long enough, and Im having trouble finding out how long the cord is.

Does anyone have any advice?

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

right off the top i will say that you can buy extension for antenna wire.

I put XM into my truck. i just bought a receiver kit and used the supplied mounting bracket for hvac vents. I just the vent between the radio and the glove box, it can rotate a little bit and provides easy viewing for both driver or passenger.

Its been a little while since I would looking at that stuff but I seem to remember looking up the tuner device from XM and coming to the conclusion that it would not function with head unit. I have a 2000 Tahoe, perhaps thats the reason. Anyhow tell me about that if you can, thanks.

For my antenna wire I mounted in on the roof, centered about 3" infront of the center brake light. it comes with a little sticky hard mould that attaches to the antenna base and protects the wire until it enters a body seam or joint, etc.
I then ran (facing the tailgate) along the top of the center brake light into the tail gate moulding and down the right side inside the weather stripping. Continuing underneath the plastic kick plate inside the trunk above the bumper then I wedged it under the side plastic panel. Im trying to remember as i go here...
Keep going along under that panel until you reach rear door kick plate, go under that then under the plastic panel that is between the front and rear doors. I did not find a need to remove the plastic panels, i just simply tucked underneath them. It is quite easy to remove the kick plates. They are quite stiff so it is difficult to get under them. anyways back to the panel between doors, after you tuck under that is where you get pissed of after realizing how short the antenna wire is. My intentions were to go under passenger side front door kick plate and up under gloves box and come out the dash after fishing it up through. HOWEVER, i only had enough wire to come out of the pastic panel covering the post (between doors) and then free air the rest of the way, under the seat and along side the center console till I reach my external receiver which is mounted on my center vent which i mentioned earlier.

i have an SAT RADIO ready HU in my Grand Prix which I will eventually put into the truck and then purchase the extension wire and a tunner kit. As of right now i plan to conceal my amp and extra antenna wire under the cup holders. There is quite a bit of space in there. thats just a rough idea.

No i did not read over this before posting, too lazy/tired.

Anyways, good luck...let me know where you at!

Thanks man!

Ryan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper