Write up: G4 LED tail light and resistor install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before
b2f5fe9f.jpg

Tail light removal... There are two phillips head screws per tail light to remove
c2d00551.jpg

...Once these are out pull the tail light out. You sill have to use a little bit of persuasion still but they should come on out

Next, the harness connects just underneath the vehicle...
d4c4a004.jpg

...just disconnect the harness and your good. Watch out for falling debris!!! :D
54ce64cf.jpg

At this point the old tail light is out and you're ready to install the new assembly. For the most part the tail light will just plug in and you're good to go. I've heard that MOST people have no issue with the hyper blink on these G4's however there are a handful that have had the issue so I just make the resistor mod from the get go with the hopes of not having to deal with it later so before installing the light I spliced in the new resistor.

First, cut the wires on the original, gray box that comes with the light.

Next you'll want to splice in the new resistor. I got these from vleds.com as they were recommended from a few members here. Also, this is just a temporary splice for now. This weekend I plan on getting some shrink connectors to keep it free from the weather. You'll also want to zip tie your wires up in a bundle to keep them organized and out of the way (not pictured)...
5c062b19.jpg

...from my research it doesn't matter which end go to the green wire and which end goes to the black wire. This resistor did come with Scotch-lok connectors but I chose not to use them (and several folks urged me to trash them as well:))

Securing the resistor is easy. I used the red 3M tape (very strong stuff!!)...
05eaebd7.jpg

...and put it on the back and attached the resistor to the back of the tail
bddc473a.jpg

Did my tests (lights, brakes, blinker,...)
41277981.jpg

Just for grins here's a pic of one LED in and one stocker in. HUGE difference IMO
e1e927f0.jpg

Do these same steps to the other side and...

cb94e65f.jpg

329b391d.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cell pics but it was just easier. Also, I was hoping to do this out in the light to get better pics but it's been so rainy I was too impatient to wait longer before I installed them :)

Last edited:

My01yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yo Burb,

you da man, i plan on getting these next month and this helps alot. I think i will take my chances and just do a straight install with no resistor. But if I end up needing it i have your very detailed how-to that will surely make it easy for me. I've said many times before......I love the place.

OP
OP
07Burb

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you'll probably be fine without the resistors as I've heard many members state they've had good luck with the stock ones that come with the G4's.

Overall, these lights make a HUGE difference in brake light output and they look much better as well :waytogo: You'll LOVE the change :)

LONGHAUL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great job, I'm proud of ya son!!! :Handshake: No go out and drive around and blind some people, lol!!!! :shocked:

OP
OP
07Burb

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did you buy the lights from?

Ebay from a seller named Revotec. He's got multiple sets for sale (amongst many other items mostly having to do with lights) at this link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-0...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2c6f6f64

This guy is shipping from Canada so it does take about a week to get the item but comes well packaged and he ships it almost immediately (within the day of purchase). :waytogo:

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

Great job, I'm proud of ya son!!! :Handshake: No go out and drive around and blind some people, lol!!!! :shocked:

:lol: They better have there sunglasses on! :D

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
love the half a megapixle cell phone camera you use...does it flip open and have a retractable antenna as well? hahha JK

OP
OP
07Burb

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
love the half a megapixle cell phone camera you use...does it flip open and have a retractable antenna as well? hahha JK

:lol: It's actually a bag phone from 1994 that I retro fitted a Kodak digital camera from 2001 to. Aren't they pretty pics?? :eek:

:laughing1:

Actually, they were taken from a lovely iPhone 3g. I knew they were pretty crappy pics but I figured it was better than waiting til the weekend to post pics up if I'd used our good camera! :D

Once the Burb is washed and it's nice outside I'll take much better pics and post them up :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveandKish