Wireless charging not working with Galaxy S7 Edge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kansas Eagle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Neither mine, or my wife's, S7 edge works in our 2015 Tahoe. Took it in to the dealer and they had some little device that had LED's that lit up if the charging was working. It lit up in my truck, but both S7's still did not work. My dealer said i had "faulty phones". OK....so we don't even try to use it. Don't really need it anyways as the S7's battery life is amazing.

DonFin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I also have issues in my 2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali DuraMax Diesel. Device rarely picks up the charge briefly but cannot hold the connection. As much money as I have paid for this vehicle, it really disappoints me that GM has made this particular component sub-standard. this was one option that I was looking forward to.

Additionally, the Android Auto function worked flawlessly with my Samsung Galaxy Note 4, but after upgrading to Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, the on-board software seems to respond differently and is much more a pain in the ass. I end up not using it now because it is not working like with the other device using the same software on the phone. It is obviously the truck software causing the issue.

damitchell

Reaction score
I took a sharp plastic pry tool and pulled the rubber charging pad off,, flipped it 180 and pressed it back in. Its working but its not as good as it was with my S6. You still have to find the sweet spot but once I found it... I can hit it every time without issue. Will post some pics...

wstefek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and I have to play around with it a lot to find a sweet spot. Doesn't always work. You would think GM would test this out a little better!!

Denali132

Banned
Reaction score
I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and I have to play around with it a lot to find a sweet spot. Doesn't always work. You would think GM would test this out a little better!!
It always took me several times to get my S7 Edge to charge on the console and now have the S8 Plus and it won’t work at all now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SSpinball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have 2 distinct problems with wireless charging in GM vehicles.

#1 the GM pad is almost 2mm thick, this makes wireless charging difficult and less effective.
I replace the rubber pad with a leather like material, minimize this thickness.

#2 the charger is installed to far forward for larger, phones to charge. (S7 -S8+)
If you remove the outer bezel you can see how to remove and modify the charger Pad to accept larger phones, maximize phone width 3.1 inches. by moving the charger position all the way to the back of the Bezel. I charge my S8 plus no problem now :)

as a bonus I installed a blue LEd to make the white gm Bezel frame glow Blue,
when charging is on.

20171023_090724.jpg

Last edited:

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you remove the outer bezel you can see how to remove and modify the charger Pad to accept larger phones, maximize phone width 3.1 inches. by moving the charger position all the way to the back of the Bezel. I charge my S8 plus no problem now :)

as a bonus I installed a blue LEd to make the white gm Bezel frame glow Blue,
when charging is on.

Any tips or pics on how to do these?

SSpinball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Their are several
several Utube videos show you how, short version,
use trim tools and remove bottom cover of the console lid,
then remove the nine? screws that hold bezel in place, remove bezel, and trim pad to fit, highly suggest not using the GM pad it is to thick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
preinternet