wipers..and headlights...and turn signals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Check your grounds for each light assembly. Also check steering column and under dash for frayed wiring from the steering column. It sounds as if something is wrong underneath there.

Swanney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I pulled the steering column, both front seats, and the dash out so I could check all the ground points and wires. the wiring on the column had some 1 inch spliced wires attached to several of the major 10-12ga wires. Guess they were using them to check for voltage or something. Removed those and put the wires back to normal. I have the harness laying in the floor. Noticed someone must have had a nice stereo at sometime found 2ga cables under the carpet and RCA jacks shoved up in the dash. There are a lot of those clips you put on wires to tap into them. So I am removing all of them and taping the exposed original wiring. Shot the grounds and the powers in the headlight switch they were fine. Still have the issue. Still searching. I guess I will start from the headlights and work my way through the engine harness area into the cab area. It has to be something simple and hidden real good. I did recently have the intake manifold out so maybe I nicked a wire on that portion of the harness. One ground attached to the thermostat housing is one of the common grounds he wipers and lights share. It shot good.

Last edited:

Swanney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
headlights issue update & two more question's

I pulled my dash & wiring harness out. All the wiring and grounds physically looked fine. Shot them with a meter end to end and they checked good. Shot them to all the other connectors and none were shorted to anything they were not supposed to be. I did set the harness back in and plug up everything just sitting in the floor. I noticed when I went to hook my ground up for my radio it had sparks. Just like when you hook up a battery cable. Is this normal. Also I used a meter and checked the wires at the wiper motor and when the light switch is in headlight position the wash circuit wire has 8 vdc on it. Could there be something in the system that has failed and voltage is reading through it and getting to the ground? Not a direct short but acting like a resistor? Just curious. I am going to put the harness back in and start unplugging items one at a time to see if the light fixes itself. Any suggestions would be helpful.:hmmm2:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I would say the wires feeding that radio are screwy if you are seeing sparks. Keep the radio disconnected by all means for now. Nothing in the design says that the wipers would see 8 volts when lights are on except for something screwy in the multi-function switch. It is where they both come even close to each other.

Swanney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Found it

Earlier you had mentioned about a possible loose ground. After inspecting the wiring from my removed dash, i started tracing the circuits out under the hood. I found a ground that was wedged between my wiper washer fluid tank and the frame. No bolt for it. looked and found the place it went and tightened it down. Everything was back to normal. No stray voltage hanging out and all the switched work. Thanks for all your help. Wish I would have started there vice removing the dash, steering column, seats, and wiring harness but I did clean everything really good, washed out all the vents, and labeled all the components so I would know what it was if I had issues later. Again thanks for all your help.:)

mattss90

Reaction score
i have a similar issue with my wipers. but only my wipers. ill turn them on just one click and they will do a low setting continuously and then when i turn them off, the wipers will stop vertically/randomly positioned on the windshield. even when i just want to use my washer fluid they will turn on for about 10 wipes and then shut off in the wrong place (and my washer fluid does not spray at all either). but this doesnt happen every time. sometimes they work correctly and sometimes not. more times not

would replacing the said things above in this thread fix this problem or is this something different?

Last edited:

1999hoe

aka HOVERHOE
Reaction score
Turn on the headlights or left blinker and the wipers rear wiper turn on at dame time and turn signal stays solid

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
you said rear wiper? well you are gonna love this. all that stuff meets up in the c112 connector. 12 pin make-up and is located around the under hood power box and booster.

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

headlights and horn leads are in there too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518