wipers..and headlights...and turn signals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fishin757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So first things first. my wiper motor with the variable speed/time thingy stopped working some times so it was off, on, or hyper speed. i figured the motor was just being weird so i dealt with it. then a few weeks ago my wipers just come on for no reason and wont turn off. found out if i turned off my turn signal they would turn off, so i tried that a few times and my TS went to hyper flash then that stopped. a little later the same thing happened only my TS wasnt on at all. now on the 4th i started my truck, got ready to go put on my headlights and bam! wipers come on, my left green arrow lights up and some other dash light. what in the world is going on?!?!?!??

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got several things going on at once... Could be the wiper board (easy to replace), could be the multi-function switch (replacable, but not as easy as the wiper board), could also be a "general" ground issue as well (since your headlights are on a different switch altogether from the wiper/turn signal).

I'd personally look into replacing the wiper control board and multi-function switch (I've actually done both since I've owned my rig). The wiper board will take 5-10min start to finish. The multi-function switch will take considerably longer (have to pull steering wheel), but is well worth the time to have everything functioning again (I had to replace mine due to non-functioning turn, hazard, and brake lights).

1A Auto has several youtube videos describing the removal/install procedures if you need visuals. Very useful on the multi-function switch.

OP
OP
Fishin757

Fishin757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh boy the steering wheel is gonna be a pain. Thanks for the advise. Electronics are not my strong suit

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
It's not terribly hard...just takes a little time and patience. A steering wheel puller can be rented from your local parts house if you don't have one.

Here are a couple of links on how to perform the removal/reinstall of the multi-function switch (PART1 / PART2).

OP
OP
Fishin757

Fishin757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to fix it. I know it's been forever since the problem came up but other things have been going in with it that lead me to believe there is a short or ground issue that need to be resolved before spending money on parts

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Fish, as you describe it it is your switch assembly it is the only place where positive voltage or crossover of voltage can effect brake, turn, and wiper or even cruise function. the turn indicators are fed positive power inside the the switch and are grounded outside of the switch. The power system would literally have to switch to a positive ground system and the switch seriously break apart inside to act that way otherwise.

OP
OP
Fishin757

Fishin757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i guess i gotta find $100 to get a new one. the junk yards never have any...around here anyway

Swanney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Similar issue

1999 Tahoe bought used. started having issues with turning headlights on, wipers would start going, left turn signal would be on steady and slightly dim, left headlights both would be on dim looking, right side would be on bright just the outboard light. right turn signal would work fine. left turn signal would start off blinking slow then speed up really fast. Move light switch to running light position and everything goes back to normal. turned ignition key off and turned the lights on I had the same issue with the lights Wipers didn't do anything since there was no power to them. I changed the multi function switch and I still have the issue. If anyone had this and fixed it what was your fix? Any help would be appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firstcaddy