Wind noise!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonrobinson84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 Yukon xl with sunroof and it is the noisiest ride I have ever been in. It has rain guards and a deflector in front of the sun roof and it's still crazy loud. Is there a reasonably inexpensive way to fix this?

OP
OP
Jonrobinson84

Jonrobinson84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I have bad seals on the windshield. I'm guessing this is not an easy diy repair. IMG_7087.JPG IMG_7088.JPG IMG_7089.JPG

JetBlackNali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a question. Do you have a wind deflector on hood? If so try popping it off and go for a drive. That bit of wind deflection causes turbulence at the roof line. Had the same problem. Apparently quite common. Catch 22. Bugs or wind noise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jonrobinson84

Jonrobinson84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a bug deflector but I do have the wind deflector before the sunroof.

I just cleaned the windshield and black seal real well and put down some "black rubber adhesive" maybe that will hold down the seal. I placed a receipt between the door and shut it with good results on that test.

My sunroof is missing the interior cover so that may be another source of noise.

OP
OP
Jonrobinson84

Jonrobinson84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The glue on the windshield did help but still extremely noisy. I am starting to wonder if the wind deflector in front of the sunroof is causing some type of turbulence. Also a receipt does not pull out when the door shuts either so those seals should be good.

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The seals look like they can be salvaged. To do the job right, you should remount the glass with fresh adhesive in all the right places.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jon, wind noise is time consuming to find. I would tape off the wind deflector where it is mounted to the roof, and tape the sunroof glass edge all around when closed. Now test drive for noise, stop and untape the front edge only on the deflector, drive again for any change, any time you get a change you have found part of your noise. JMHO and good luck.
David g.

OP
OP
Jonrobinson84

Jonrobinson84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the input guys. The windshield does have a little crack in it so I will call insurance and they can replace as well as seal with glue correctly.

Good call on the sunroof, It seems like I have to play with the roof to allow it to seal right. It has a hard time stopping in the right place sometimes. I will give that ago this weekend.