Why the rake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mck024

Reaction score
New Suburban owner here, 2016 LT. I've been looking at all the great mods on this forum. Curious about something... These trucks look so much better when leveled, even if not lowered, so why are they manufactured with a "rake"?

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So that if you have a load on the back (trailer, cargo, etc.) it will have room to "level out" with out being nose up. Might be other reasons but that is the simplest reason I can think of.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So that if you have a load on the back (trailer, cargo, etc.) it will have room to "level out" with out being nose up. Might be other reasons but that is the simplest reason I can think of.

This and aerodynamics. Level, or worse- "squatted" (like the "tilt" craze going on with the fgts and their bro trucks) lets air get underneath the truck where it is in no way smooth. The turbulent air causes drag and lift at highway speeds, reducing overall stability and fuel economy.

Last edited:

blurred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But squat is kool and all the haters just want to hate on the playas with the wicked awesome lift/lower combo and them way phat wheels and skinny-kin "offroad" tires..

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15 up gm changed rear insulator sizes. Much thicket so more rake

with that in mind, would the levelling the rear I just did on my 15 suburban will have any effect on longetivity and mpg of the truck?

thx tony!

Bardog

Reaction score
Another good answer I found elsewhere:

"The rake is due to spring load rates in the rear of the truck. Trucks are designed to haul loads so the manufacturers make the rear springs stiff, so when the truck is loaded it sits closer to level and has no tire rubbing issues.

Why not lift the front end to match? The majority of consumers of modern trucks use them more for everyday transportation than they do for load hauling, and they want an easier and lower entrance and exit to the cab. Secondly if the front were lifted in the air with all the weight on the rear it would make for some dangerous steering conditions."

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s weird is the extended versions of these for 07-14 were almost level if so equipped with rear load level (non had about the same rake as now). Now go look at a new esky ESV and they have the rake of a last gen LS suburban. They have the suspension all screwed up now with the second gen MRC. The shocks and springs don’t feel like they work together but against each other instead. The ride is choppy at low speeds and too floaty at higher speed. And the suv sits stupid for whatever random reason we will probably never know completely.