White smoke at start up after a 2 hour trip.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricardo Rocha

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sup guys I just bought a 2009 Yukon slt with 130K runs like a champ no lights on the dash and everything runs and sounds the wau it should. Ive only had it for 3 days its the first GM suv i own, so i took a 2 hour trip to and the next morning whe. we were leaving for breakfast it threw a cloud of white smoke and today acter we came home and the trhe suv was sitting for about an hour we went out again and it threw a white cloud of smoke its only for a few seconds and only at starts up after a long trip. The oil was only changed 1500 miles ago because i went to a valvoline place and it was on their computer that this suv had an oil changed every 3000 miles. Just wanna see if anyo e has any issues like this with their suv. Thanks ill appreciate the feed back.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White smoke usually means there is water getting in to places it shouldn't be. Check the dipstick first to see if there is any presence of water

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesnt white smoke also mean car running lean? But this would be happening when driving, not just on initial start up. What other options he has to find water?

OP
OP
R

Ricardo Rocha

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
this morning when my wife fired up the truck she said no smoke came out and the past 2 times thats its done it was after sitting over night after a 2 hour trip. im assuming its condensation.

harbison

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did this for a while. Seems to have stopped now. Only on start up. Only did it when vehicle had sat overnight or a couple of hours. Never saw any presence of water on dipstick or in oil change. I'd love to know what causes it.

OP
OP
R

Ricardo Rocha

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the dealer told me it was a bad pcv valve that gm design so it was swaped out for an after market one.. i just got done yesterday ill update as time goes by.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy a new valve cover. PCV is non-serviceable. My truck did the same thing and that fixed it.

Unless thats what you were talking about then you said you bought an aftermarket one.

harbison

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pwtr02ss, are you saying your problem was white smoke caused by oil?

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pwtr02ss, are you saying your problem was white smoke caused by oil?

Yes. The PCV was clogged and was not venting the crank case correctly. At the higher RPM drive on the highway, the crank case would build pressure and blow oil past the rings, into the cylinder. That oil sits int the cylinder and burns up when you restart. That was my issue anyway. It cut the oil consumption back to almost none as well.

harbison

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try that. Do you remember what brand valve cover replacement was? The only one I found is DORMAN 264969.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne