While wishing for a feature, I found a problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
90%Of the time so far I like my barn doors. But if I don't open them all the way, I eventually get hit in the head.
I wished that the door could stop and be held at 90 degrees and didn't require being opened all the way out.

That's when I discovered that the spring loaded stop does have two positions, but the stop doesn't move enough to engage the pin. I sprayed it with penetrating oil and tapped it with a hammer to move it. It moved, but doesn't move freely.

Any way to loosen it up?
a29d191c578b49f384dcc4fc564fec5d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TURNz

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nobody knows huh?

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try spraying some silicon based lubricant in there and work that stop back and forth? I don't have barn doors readily available to go look at so I can't really supply much advice...

OP
OP
TURNz

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sprayed penetrating oil on it, and tried working it back and forth. There isn't much range of motion, and its so tight I have to use a ballpeen hammer to force it in, then close the door to force it out.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pivot point rivet is probably really rusty where you can't see. I would spray it with lube and work it for a few days. It may loosen up for you. Only other option I see is to remove factory rivet and replace with a bolt and double nut.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in addition to some door alignment issues, i had the same thing. the whole assembly was really tight and would groan when i would open or close. The alignment was a total PITA. but for the pin, i got in there with a fine piece of rope saw to clean some rust off. then hit it with some lithium grease, making sure to work it in. few days use and it was free.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
90%Of the time so far I like my barn doors. But if I don't open them all the way, I eventually get hit in the head.
I wished that the door could stop and be held at 90 degrees and didn't require being opened all the way out.

That's when I discovered that the spring loaded stop does have two positions, but the stop doesn't move enough to engage the pin. I sprayed it with penetrating oil and tapped it with a hammer to move it. It moved, but doesn't move freely.

Any way to loosen it up?
a29d191c578b49f384dcc4fc564fec5d.jpg

That rusted area should be greased. It's actually 2 pieces and that area actually rolls like a bearing over that pivot. That why yours is so hard to open. You need a penetrating lube in there to break it loose. As much as I want to clean that area I leave it along and greased up so the doors open smoothly and stay in their 2 locked positions.

Another thing, is your spring on that pivot compressed? It's pretty stiff and should force that latch to stay in contact the door. Gonna have to free up the pivot and grease that roller.
beafbe8bf6e7cf71ac88c138ea5e8488.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
TURNz

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That rusted area should be greased. It's actually 2 pieces and that area actually rolls like a bearing over that pivot. That why yours is so hard to open. You need a penetrating lube in there to break it loose. As much as I want to clean that area I leave it along and greased up so the doors open smoothly and stay in their 2 locked positions.

Another thing, is your spring on that pivot compressed? It's pretty stiff and should force that latch to stay in contact the door. Gonna have to free up the pivot and grease that roller.
beafbe8bf6e7cf71ac88c138ea5e8488.jpg

You are saying the pin on the door is supposed to roll?

The arm is so stiff I can't just wiggle it, I had to use a hammer to move it.
Maybe I'll grab both ends with vice grips and try to wiggle it back and forth.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are saying the pin on the door is supposed to roll?

The arm is so stiff I can't just wiggle it, I had to use a hammer to move it.
Maybe I'll grab both ends with vice grips and try to wiggle it back and forth.

Yeah that pin is supposed to roll.. try hitting that pivot with penetrating oil and hopefully it frees up and grease on that pin. The spring should be putting constant pressure on the pivot so push it in the direction of the door or your just fighting the spring.

OP
OP
TURNz

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did put penetrating oil on the pivot the same day I started this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods