Which keys (again)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MCAT069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, after selling my first born, I was able to afford all four OEM Autoride shocks for my 04 2500 Suburban 4x4. I would now like to level this eco friendly 8.1. The front sits at 36 and the rear is at 38 so in theory, I just need new keys to raise the front 2 inches. After reading countless threads, it seems that the super, ultra, mega Suspension Maxx $300 leveling keys are no better or worse than plasma selling, budget friendly $30.00 ebay/Amazon keys. My question(s) that I have are 1.) Do I need to get a kit that includes the shock relocation brackets and 2.) Do I need to get a kit that includes any rear suspension items?

richs1

Reaction score
So, after selling my first born, I was able to afford all four OEM Autoride shocks for my 04 2500 Suburban 4x4. I would now like to level this eco friendly 8.1. The front sits at 36 and the rear is at 38 so in theory, I just need new keys to raise the front 2 inches. After reading countless threads, it seems that the super, ultra, mega Suspension Maxx $300 leveling keys are no better or worse than plasma selling, budget friendly $30.00 ebay/Amazon keys. My question(s) that I have are 1.) Do I need to get a kit that includes the shock relocation brackets and 2.) Do I need to get a kit that includes any rear suspension items?

Lol! $300.00 keys.....

I bought my keys and rear spring spacers off eBay. Less than $50.00 for both. If your only going up 2 inches in the front, I don’t think you will need to relocate the shock mounts, but I’m not 100% sure. I used bilstein 5100 designed for Lifted trucks. If your just bringing the front up, don’t see why you would do anything to the rear. I’m no expert, but I raised my Z71 3 inches in the front and 1.5 in the rear with the cheapo stuff. Seems to be working fine.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol! $300.00 keys.....

I bought my keys and rear spring spacers off eBay. Less than $50.00 for both. If your only going up 2 inches in the front, I don’t think you will need to relocate the shock mounts, but I’m not 100% sure. I used bilstein 5100 designed for Lifted trucks. If your just bringing the front up, don’t see why you would do anything to the rear. I’m no expert, but I raised my Z71 3 inches in the front and 1.5 in the rear with the cheapo stuff. Seems to be working fine.
X2

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, put your truck up on stands, and turn your stock bars to where the bolts bottom out. Drop it down, drive around the block, and check to see if your upper A-arms are touching the stops. If they are, drop it down a turn at a time, driving after each turn, allows the suspension to settle. Once the driver's side is off the stops, check the fender heights, and adjust the passenger side to match.

You might be able to realize close to 2" without having to buy anything. If the torsion bars are worn, then keys will allow you to crank more. I got 3" out of my keys ($30 on eBay), and added Z71 springs (RockAuto) and 2" coil spacers (also eBay). Fender heights at 39 3/4" and 40 1/4", IIRC.

My A-arms were touching the stops, so I pie-cut the underside, and hammered down on the stop until the two halves met again, then tack welded them back together. CV angles aren't the greatest, but I've seen worse.

OP
OP
MCAT069

MCAT069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By turn, you mean one complete revolution of the adjustment bolt? Approximately how much (in inches) does one complete revolution change the height?

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One turn is usually about 1/4", but may be less, especially if your bars are worn. Crank both sides the same number of turns at first, drive to let it settle, then adjust as needed to get them level with each other. As someone else mentioned, if you are concerned with it sitting dead level when you are driving, put something equal to your body weight in the drivers seat while adjusting. But then, it'd be off if you have passengers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeronightwolf