Which Coil for my '99 5.7 Vortec.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Big Poppa Pump

Big Poppa Pump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check compression and the distributor itself. You may have a worn distributor gear.

I had not thought about the gear on the distributor.

Could be cap/rotor... moisture is not our friend. ACDelco (professional or OEM) is better than other branding. If looking at coil, ACDelco (professional or OEM) is good, but other brands can be substituted.

Fuel spider replacement is a great improvement over OEM...quite a bit more involved with that project compared to replacing cap/rotor or coil.

I'd love to do the spider but I don't know if I'd get it back together. I'm more of a core replacement level. I do the brakes, water pump, etc ....... The cap and rotor are getting a look at Monday.

One thing you might consider, especially if it's got high mileage, the exhaust, either the convertor or muffler. They have been known to partial restriction causing your type of problem. If you still have the factory exhaust
you could loosen the converter and secure it to do a test run, you may just find your problem.
Good luck.
David g................:2cents:

I overlooked that idea. I even had that on an old Caprice.

Thanks everyone!!

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you pull the distributor...you’re going to need to have the camshaft position sensor offset (CMP Retard) set when you reinstall it.

Either find someone with a good scanner or get an OBD adapter and download an app (CarGaugePro or DashCommand).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you pull the distributor...you’re going to need to have the camshaft position sensor offset (CMP Retard) set when you reinstall it.

Either find someone with a good scanner or get an OBD adapter and download an app (CarGaugePro or DashCommand).

Yes, what he said! These distributors are touchy and need a scanner to set them properly. I use Foseal wifi OBD scanner with DashCommand. Purchase the GM addon package within DashCommand and you’re golden.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it doesn’t scare you off, the Bluetooth OBD connectors are maybe $40, the app maybe another $40 and then some Android device to read it. A cheapo Walmart tablet will do the trick. I use an RCA model that was around $30 on sale.

You can use the apps for many other things. Really comes in handy.

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it doesn’t scare you off, the Bluetooth OBD connectors are maybe $40, the app maybe another $40 and then some Android device to read it. A cheapo Walmart tablet will do the trick. I use an RCA model that was around $30 on sale.

You can use the apps for many other things. Really comes in handy.

I paid $20 for my OBD connector and $10 for the app, and just use my phone.

OP
OP
Big Poppa Pump

Big Poppa Pump

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks everyone for your suggestion of pulling the distributor to inspect the gear, and the appropriate app for the work. I never would have thought to do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094