Big Red - 2000 Tahoe Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Now that, I'm not 100% sure on. I know that pretty much every 00-02 has an amp though.
All documentation says that there were three different audio systems from 99-02. The Base system (just a radio), the "Premium" system (has a radio, amp, and 8" sub in rear), and then the Bose system which is basically the same as the Premium system but different and and speakers. I believe the Bose had a separate sub amp as well. I have never encountered a 00-02 Tahoe/Burb or Yukon with the "Base" audio system. Perhaps only the pickups had the Base radio.
As far as 03, I don't recall if there were three different audio systems or just two. I have never seen any documents about it back when I used to install car stereos, so I believe it's just base or Bose on the 03+ trucks and SUVS.
Thx for the info ScottyBoy. I fkund the Bose amps along with the sub from that 02 Denali my buddy parted out. Sounded really good too.

OP
OP
ArcticYukon

ArcticYukon

The White Yuke has been superseded by a Red Hoe
Reaction score
The headliner replacement should be very easy, especially since you can just drop it down and slide it straight out the back. Headliners in cars and pickups are usually more of a pain because of trying to squeeze the headliner board out of the passenger side front door.
As far as the speakers having ZERO bass, that most probably means that the factory amp is still hooked up. You will actually get far better sound if you bypass the factory amp. The factory radio has an amp or else it has a Bose amp. Either way, the factory amp blocks ALL bass going to the door speakers because of the subwoofer in the rear Driver's side quarter panel. If you bypass the amp, then you will get full Bass to each door speaker. There's two ways to bypass the amp, either make a jumper harness at the amp behind the glove box, or else run new speaker wires from the radio to each door speaker.

Now that, I'm not 100% sure on. I know that pretty much every 00-02 has an amp though.
All documentation says that there were three different audio systems from 99-02. The Base system (just a radio), the "Premium" system (has a radio, amp, and 8" sub in rear), and then the Bose system which is basically the same as the Premium system but different and and speakers. I believe the Bose had a separate sub amp as well. I have never encountered a 00-02 Tahoe/Burb or Yukon with the "Base" audio system. Perhaps only the pickups had the Base radio.
As far as 03, I don't recall if there were three different audio systems or just two. I have never seen any documents about it back when I used to install car stereos, so I believe it's just base or Bose on the 03+ trucks and SUVS.

Now I'm really curious. My factory radio is a CD player unit with the automatic volume whatever it's called, a separate tape deck mounted in the center console below the dash, a mosfet on the side of the head unit, and no subwoofer in the rear - although, I haven't closely examined the enclosure in the rear to see if it was removed or what. Where would the factory amplifier be located if I had one?

Also, when I looked up my RPO codes, it indicates that I have the "upgraded" sound system supposedly, but there's only the 4 speakers that I can tell.... one in each door and it looks like the PO installed some tweeters in the driver's door speaker enclosures (which makes the lack of bass just THAT MUCH more.... "enjoyable").

Thanks for the reply about the headliner, btw. I was pretty sure it would be an easy job too. Not all that different from replacing one in and XJ and I have removed one from a parts Jeep that I had. The removal went so well on it that I was able to sell it in perfect condition.

OP
OP
ArcticYukon

ArcticYukon

Reaction score
Ok guys, sure enough it has the factory amplifier behind the glove box door. I bought the Metra 70-2002 harness, repinned it, threw it in and voila! Finally have bass!

Still going to end up having to get new speakers because these are just cheapy boss or dual brand speakers and don't have much range to them, but at least we have something that makes them give out fuller sound now .

OP
OP
ArcticYukon

ArcticYukon

Reaction score
Haven't been posting it in this thread, but I've been dealing with the dreaded REP mode issue. Numerous codes, most of which have been dealt with. Waiting on money for the rest. Of course, the way it's been working, once the weather warms up, it will be a non-point as it's only doing it when it sits overnight and the ambient temp is below 70*.

SO.... I replaced the APP sensor, cleaned the TB, cleared the codes, then it drove fine for 2 evenings without any CEL or other troubles until the next cold morning. Started up fine, no CEL, wife made it 5 minutes down the road and it popped the CEL and went into REP mode. Sat on the side of the road for 10 minutes until it warmed up past 185, then shut if off, turned it back on and it drove fine. Took it to autozone for them to read the stored code ('cause the CEL shut off when I cranked it that afternoon), and it showed a p1515. Guess I'll have to replace that TB sensor after all...

Before and after shots of the throttle body....

20180325_144923.jpg

20180325_153910.jpg

Drove it all last week and at the end of the week, I came back from the store with my daughter hearing hissing.... pinhole on the driver's side plastic side tank on the radiator. Well great! :banghead:

OP
OP
ArcticYukon

ArcticYukon

Reaction score
Well, it's been a month and a half since I've driven Big Red, other than just moving it around the front yard to mow and whatnot.

Waiting on the Jeep to sell before I can get the money to replace the radiator and TPS. Got a couple buyers interested so, fingers crossed for this weekend.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are selling it, try getting some of that JB weld for radiators and gas tanks. I actually had a radiator start leaking where the fill neck meets the tank, and I used the JB weld on it and it surprisingly worked GREAT. I initially planned on it being a temporary repair, but it held up for at least another year, until I sold the car.

OP
OP
ArcticYukon

ArcticYukon

Reaction score
If you are selling it, try getting some of that JB weld for radiators and gas tanks. I actually had a radiator start leaking where the fill neck meets the tank, and I used the JB weld on it and it surprisingly worked GREAT. I initially planned on it being a temporary repair, but it held up for at least another year, until I sold the car.

The Jeep was for sale. Sold it Friday night, thankfully.

The radiator cracked in the Tahoe. Bought a new radiator saturday and installed it in a couple of hours. Back to running like a champ!!!

Bought some Beamtech LED bulbs for it off of Amazon on Saturday night. They came in this afternoon about a half hour before I left for work. Threw 'em in real quick and drove to work with it.... suckers are BRIGHT!!!

20180521_164152.jpg

20180521_164144.jpg

20180521_164133.jpg

20180521_164106.jpg

20180521_164100.jpg

Pretty impressed so far. I'll be able to tell more once darkness falls.

OP
OP
ArcticYukon

ArcticYukon

Reaction score
Hey, can anyone tell me how to remove this gap? I looked at the grille connections with the upper shroud off, but it's not making sense to me how to move it up.

20180519_125551.jpg

20180519_125542.jpg

Shouldn't be that much gap, right? Maybe it's my OCD, but that just seems a bit excessive.

OP
OP
ArcticYukon

ArcticYukon

Reaction score
Thank you, Mods, for moving my thread!

Figured this was more appropriate as a build thread since that's what the goal is. It'll be a slow build, but it's not staying stock, that's for sure.

Plans (not necessarily in order):

-Re-upholster the headliner
-Clean up the interior to see how badly stained it is. Re-finish, paint, dye, or whatever from there
-Flowmaster single in / dual out muffler (already have)
-Replace front bumper
-Replace headlight & turn signal housings
-Replace tail light housings
-Esky vent caps
-Denali center console swap
-HD hood/grille swap
-Dent repair
-Paint (oh god does it need the paint)
-2" lift/leveling kit
-18" wheels
-33" tires (Just so we're clear - the wife wants the lift and tires. I'd rather do a 2" drop and 20s or 22s, but this is her DD, so well... happy wife, happy life.)

Maybes:
-Denali cluster swap
-FIPK - hoping to find a good deal on a used Volant, AirRaid, or AEM
-Power programmer
-I'd like to do a cam, but I don't know if I want that much power under my wife's foot - especially with the kids in tow.

Overall goal is just a decent-looking family vehicle. Not a show-stopper, but not run down and neglected looking like it is now. I love custom rides and I really love this Chevy. Definitely my favorite that I've owned so far.

Any tips or advice is welcome. Not the first vehicle I've owned and modified, but it's my first LS-based.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins