Where to start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qukon 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay fellas as you know i replaced my spider gears in the rear and it didn't solve
the clunk when i come to a full stop and then take off, not punching the pedal i think the rearend will need replacing. this is the second rebuilt rear that i put on
the yukon ? Will a transmission cause these failures ? but im not having any issues with the trans is there some gears in it that has too much play in them?

when i go 55/70 mph i have vibration that coming from front anything under that
i have no vibes . NOTE this didn't happen until after i replace spider gears might be just a coincidence :hmmm2.

could i get a 14 bolt with same gear ratio that will bolt right up?

OP
OP
qukon 95

qukon 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's on the rear of transmission?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Yep. Front of drive-shaft. Also I know you just replaced it but a worn over-sized side gear counter-bore can create that sound when coasting at about 10 mph. Just something to think about. Been discussing the noise issue here to some extent. Read the whole thread.

bulletpruf

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Pull driveshaft, grease inside of transmission yoke, reinstall. Check for clunk. Fairly common issue; I greased mine a while back and the clunk went away. Came back recently, but that was after maybe a year of no clunk.

Could be pinion slop, too, but that shouldn't be the case with a rebuilt rear.

OP
OP
qukon 95

qukon 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seen the racket ball video I will try this.I have greesed it before and what about the nickel plated slip yoke it suppose to work.

ryanm1987

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just had a quick question about the driveline clunk I also have it in a 97 4x4 Tahoe when I stop and go we got a good snowfall and I drove in 4 hi and it does not do it when it is in 4x4 mode only in 2wd mode, and was wondering if the problem is needing the yoke greased than why doesn't it happen in 4wd mode just something I was wondering

bulletpruf

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I seen the racket ball video I will try this.I have greesed it before and what about the nickel plated slip yoke it suppose to work.

I've heard good things about the nickel-plated slip yoke, but don't have any experience with it.

I'd try that before going with another rear end rebuild.

Scott

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I just had a quick question about the driveline clunk I also have it in a 97 4x4 Tahoe when I stop and go we got a good snowfall and I drove in 4 hi and it does not do it when it is in 4x4 mode only in 2wd mode, and was wondering if the problem is needing the yoke greased than why doesn't it happen in 4wd mode just something I was wondering

When the 4wd is engage the torque out put of the t-case is changed and as a results the rear is not doing all the work itself any more. This may be effecting the rear yoke in its ability to create that clunk problem. Just a theory tho.

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

It reduces friction between the yoke and shaft splines. Reduces damage to seals around the output yoke. As you brake the yoke shifts its position on the output shaft and the sticking on it from rough mating surfaces make it feel bumpy when coming to a complete stop and t-case and rear axle shift slightly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts