Where is onstar unit located in 2005 tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Mono means one channel. It sounds muffled and not clear with that unit ( streaming music only. Phone calls sound amazing)

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh ok I see. Thanks for clarifying! My Bluetooth setup streams fantastic from my phone. But when I take calls it doesn't go to both sides. I have to pick either left or right for the call to come through the speaker. And interestingly on my setup the calling on the Bluetooth setup only goes to my from tweeter speaker in the forward a pillar.

OP
OP
R

Rob C

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What does mono mean?

In some stereo systems, a mono setting would simply mean that the same mix of sound is coming out of the speaker pair. You wouldn't hear the trumpet in the left, say, and the bass in the right. In this case both speakers work, but mono sound is coming out.

OP
OP
R

Rob C

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So here's the deal. I could not get the ISimple ISGM535 to work with the Bluestar. Calls in or out would not work, Siri would not work. It streamed stereo quite well, but it was not compatible with the phone, which is the main reason I wanted this. It was compatible with Onstar, but only if you connected your phone directly to the ISGM unit. I'm sending that part back.

Regarding the Bluestar, the install would have taken 20 minutes if I didn't screw with the ISGM, and if I knew where the Onstar unit was. So for those with a 2005 Tahoe or something similar, pull down your glovebox and look up on the right side. The Onstar unit is silver and has four ports populated with either two or more cables. Mine had two with white connectors. I simply unplugged the two connectors, plugged them into the Bluestar, and zip tied it to a nearby post that already had two nifty holes for the ties. Total cost: $299 for the Bluestar, and $5.99 for a pack of six million zip ties.

The phone buttons on the steering wheel and rear view mirror work great for initiating the call. I have an IPhone, so it pulls up Siri. For streaming music, you hit the red button on the mirror, and then start the music on your phone. Again, this is in mono, but the sound is ok. If anyone ever comes up with a good adapter for the GM Class II radio that works, I'll go with it. image.jpeg

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's awesome! I may be looking into the soon as is like to be able to use those buttons to start calls. But I already have a Bluetooth setup using my clarion head unit. Well i,guess its research time. Lol.

Jester9456

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any development on stereo streaming?

From what I understand you need to run a 3.5mm wire from the bluestar into your HU however you can. That may mean splicing onto the XM wires or an adapter kit to give you a set of RCAs on the HU.

OP
OP
R

Rob C

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The ISimple sound was fabulous (over 3mm jack), but I had to choose between it and the Bluestar, and I needed the bluetooth more than the stereo.

I wuld gladly try the wiring, but would need to know exactly which to tie into.

OP
OP
R

Rob C

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Adding a note for anyone whose Bluestar is not working, after a couple years I had a small problem, I could connect with bluetooth, but could not get the unit to take calls or olay music. The red emergency button would not work (this is only for playing music and voice calls with Bluestar.) Turns out this was an easy fix, I just disconnected the car battery for ten seconds, reconnected, and it worked fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore